Banned 0.0.0.0

z9999

Just moments ago, as a result of hash fails 2 IP's were banned. As I had been keeping a close eye on the accumulation of hash fails in relation to the peers/seeds I was connected to, I recognized one of the IP's as one that had accumulated numerous hash fails over an extended period of connect time, and might point out that it was the most productive IP I had been connected to. The second IP, 0.0.0.0, is what I am asking about. Can someone explain how this IP came to be banned? I have never seen a peer or seed that displayed such an IP address. Thanks for any explanation.

I'm not using DHT, and if I understand correctly, the tracker doesn't have anything to do with banning peers as it is a function of the client software, (uTorrent in this case), which keeps record of the number of hash failures on a peer IP basis. I would assume that if the tracker had some function here I would have seen a peer listed in my connections having an IP of 0.0.0.0 who had accumulated a Hash fail count of 5 prior to being banned. Is this not correct? And is not 0.0.0.0 associated with my machine in some way? I am not an expert on IP addressing so I am guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

0.0.0.0 is synonymous with all _your_ network interfaces (localhost, ethernet, modem, etc.), used usually by listening sockets to say they don't want to specify specific address/device to listen on. Hash fails coming from such address is definitely weird, since you shouldn't even be able to connect to it, and even if you can, you're connecting to yourself.

And as silverfire said, it also means "any address".

wyrmchild: The 0.0.0.0 being banned seems to be an infrequent occurrence, but now, (since upgrading to uTorrent 1600), I notice that 192.168.1.1 is being banned nearly continuously, and not in relation to the occurrence of hash failures. Nearly every torrent I run will show it being reset if I use the reset bans feature, and even when no hash fails have occurred. Initially it appeared with port 65535, but I have also noticed port 25465 in a few cases. Sometimes clearing these bans appears to increase my download spped, but I'm beginning to believe it may just be coincendental. My upload speed is always constant though. It may be that these two IP's being banned has no detrimental affect on running torrents, but is annoying as I don't see the sense of it. So I'm curious why it is occurring. I like to understand everything I see.

Thanks for your input.

Archived