gui freezes but seeding continues

Tilgore Krout

utorrent 3.5.5 (build 45790)

Processor    AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics       3.60 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.43 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎10/‎31/‎2020
OS build    19042.685
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

I am seeding hundreds of torrents with my max active seeds set at 50.
My ISP upload limit is 10 Mbits/sec.
After about 8 hours of seeding, the gui freezes but the torrents continue to seed.
Running Process Explorer, I can see normal CPU and network activity.
Everything seems normal except one thing: GDI handles shows 10,000.

That is the win10 limit and explains why the gui is frozen.
I can work around this by keeping the window minimized for most of the time, so I'm inconvenienced but not wrecked.
This is perfectly repeatable. It always happens eventually if I leave the window unminimized.

This only started when I moved to win10 in May 2020. I never had the problem in win7 even though I believe (unconfirmed) that the gui handle limit is the same.

When running with 40+ torrents actively seeding, Process Explorer shows the gui handles slowly creeping up. Watching the gui at the same time, it seems that the handles move up as new torrents join the active list. And when I only seed a set small number of torrents, the handles stay steady.

I keep a global minimum ratio to force the most active torrents to finish so that eventually all the torrents have activity. When all have finished, I increase the ratio and it all starts over. Even without the minimum, there is constant small turnover in the active list.

That's my bug report. Let me know if you have questions or would like for me to do something.
I have the work around so this is low priority for me.

I gave your LAA version a try even though I wondered about LAA being a solution for GDI handle leak. But who knows, indirect relationships can happen.

Sadly, the behavior is unchanged.

GDI handles grow at a rate of about 20 per minute, and so hit the 10,000 limit in about 8 hours.

Just eyeballing it, the growth seems to follow the change on the Active screen from Queued Seed to Seeding (and back again?).

As I said before, let me know if you have questions or would like for me to do something.

Maybe  Win 10 20H2 related ?! ...  Are you sure it is a leak, or just in need of a higher max number of GDI handles? You can try to increase it using the registry+reboot:

https://support.altia.com/hc/en-us/articles/206334204-Design-with-many-images-exits-if-it-hits-10000-Win-GDI-max

Edit:

In my case - I have  440 torrents, and using just 600 GDI handles, FYI ..

The handles growing at 20 per minute until they hit the limit (set to be far higher than a healthy process will use) is what can reasonably be called a leak.

In researching this, I have read about graphic intensive specialty programs that have high use of gdi handles by design but they are the exception. I'm pretty sure that uTorrent does not fall into that area.

It sounds like you are unable to repeat the error and that's too bad.  It is 100% repeatable on my end. I'm just running current win 10, nothing exotic.

Mine starts out with 600 or so handles but when I let it sit unminimized for an hour or so, it is growing when I come back.

Hey, thanks for looking at this. I figured it would be a snap to duplicate but I was wrong.  Oh well, if you can't duplicate the leak, it certainly can't be fixed.

If anybody else has this problem, the workaround is to keep the window minimized most of the time. The leak is only active when the window is unminimized.

Once my seeding number gets to a couple hundred and my active screen has 30 or 40 actively seeding torrents, even though most of the torrents are seeding steadily there are usually 2 or 3 coming and going every couple seconds. The increase in bitmap objects seems to be tied to that. So when (in my case) one happens every 3 seconds or so that is about 20 a minute and so that's 10,000 in 8 hours.

• 2 months later...

Archived