uTorrentaffects my other programs

Cha0tika

Hi guys, I'm new here so please be gentle :)

A while back when I started using uTorrent all was fine, green lights and all that, speeds were good. Since I formatted and re-dled uT things have not gone so well. I have never gotten a green light, my internet connection dies arbitrarily while downloading, I was working with the idea it was my global connections (Even though I had no problems before) and limited it to a paltry 100, where it still infrequently disconnects my internet. Increasingly recently when i run uT, programs like IE7 grind to a halt and won't load any pages so I have to prioritise between downloading and web surfing. I am on a Linksys BEFSR81 V3 router, Firmware Version: 2.45.5.

I really don't know much about this aspect of computers, so sorry if I missed anything important out, thanks for your help.

~Cha0tika

EDIT: I found out my UPnP was not enabled in my router, enabled that, get green ticks. My internet disconnected soon afterwards.

:) Thanks. I tried all apart from patching the .sys (Not sure how to do it) and checking if it's my router, as the modem and I are on different floors.

EDIT: Scratch that. My net just died again. Even uT stops dling and it signs me out of MSN, if that changes anything. And how do I patch this TCIPIP.sys? Thanks again.

~Cha0tika

no, it will not help your connection. you are right so far!

but what you have not got is that you must have choosen the wrong settings then!

(or do you sit at an ISP backbone uplink directly with such high UP(!)loadspeed?)

if you in fact sit at an ISP backbone line and you have problems with your in #9 mentioned values, then something else is terrible wrong. Either some heavy malwareinfection or totally totally crappiest of the most crappy network hardware you have then!

so, question what is your UPloadspeed? (run the speedtests!) CTRL+G

Yeah, sorry bout that, I thought I might have been wrong at least about the pentuple thing. I ran a speed test, and I got 480kbps up and 9775 down with uT off (which I assume is how it's meant to be done for the most accurate results.) Ironically enough my net cut out WHILE the java download test was running with uT on, when I tried the test again, and uT was only running at about 10kbps d/l. I've formatted twice since the problem started and has persisted since, which is annoying because the only noticable difference betwen now and before the problem started is the version of uT, which pains me as the rules here say not to ask for old versions...

Delete settings.dat and settings.dat.old, and reconfigure µTorrent according to the setup guide. Since the speed test said 480kbps, it's probably safe to assume you have a xx/512k connection if overhead is taken into account, so select that in the Speed Guide. As I said in the link I posted earlier, try disabling UPnP and DHT. If it doesn't help, patch TCPIP.sys. If not, try connecting your computer directly to the modem, bypassing the router.

Set everything, and tried the Unix Slackware torrent. Maxed at 437 down.

Then my net went dead.

Back up to 464 down, then dead.

I hate this.

(should I change net.max_halopen and bt.connect speed again?)

Also while the net is dead I can still access my router setup, which means (I think) that the problem isn't my connection to the router?

Are there any specific settings in routers in general that would mess up uT like this?

By the way in hindsight it seems I totally misunderstood the last 5 or so posts, and that when in the speed guide i should have chosen the settings based on up speed and not down speed, which I've done now. Sorry :(

It's going to be difficult to figure out if the problem lies with the modem or router then... do you have another computer on the same network to test? If so, while the internet is slow on the computer you're currently using, run to the other computer and see if the internet is slow on that one at the same time.

Well my Dad is on the internet quite often in the day, he never complains to me that his internet has disconnected, which leads me to believe he isn't affected, although he does shout at me for "stealing his bandwidth", making his connection extremely sluggish.

Yeah, 99% of the time. Wierd thing it never happens when uT has "overloaded" my connection to make it disconnect

(I hope I'm explaining well enough that when i say disconnect it isn't a physical disconnection, just uT has uploaded too much at once and made my connection go dead, when nothing can connect to the internet.)

99% of the time for which question, first or second? If it's for the first question, then it sounds like the problem is on your comptuer's end, not the other hardware... Which means it's likely a software issue.

Clearing settings.dat and settings.dat.old, then patching TCPIP.sys and lowering net.max_halfopen didn't help? What firewall are you using, if any? Are you limiting your download rate at all? And don't mess around with bt.connect_speed.

Archived