vonage and uTorrent (d-link DI-524 + motorola vt1005v)

tweaker

First off you're gonna love this story for all you geeks out there simply for the "did you think of this" factor. Mind you I'm not rich so I can't afford a new router but I know my router is not a problem so here it goes.

This all started about a month ago when the people on the other end of the phone started complaining about the quality of the phone signal. Yes, I love using torrents and am a generous seeder. I am a subscriber of vonage but know how to do my math well enough to know to keep my upload speed low enough so that I can transmit to them with no problems as well as talk on the phone. Funny thing is the problem is not constant.

1st attempt) I called my cable provider to see what could be going on. They said nothing on their end and that I have a "clean line". I asked if they would check if I had a dirty signal (if anyone has digital cable, this is tech speak for them to actually doing something rather than saying uh huh, uh huh to you untiil you get off the phone).

2nd attempt) I called vonage. They were looked at my configuration and did see that I was on the lowest bandwidth as I told them so. So after talking with their manager they agreed to replace my modem. Guess what, still happened. Go figure.

3nd attempt) I called vonaged back and we talked about the way I had my network setup. They told me I needed to have my vonage modem in front of my router. This will fix everything.

4th attempt) I called a CCNA buddy of mine and talked to him about putting the vonage modem in front of the router and why in the heck I would do that. He just laughed and was like, there really no reason to doing it that's just their way of covering their tails. He explained the whole bandwidth saver service to me that vonage does and everything and how that will effect all of my torrents.

Now here's the kicker. I did what vonage told me to do but since then port forwarding has not worked, not once but uTorrent keeps on working. My CCNA friend told me to put the vonage modem in the DMZ (I also read on the forums here the same suggestion) but my modem crashes almost ever 2 days and I have to unplug it and then plug it back in. If I take it out of the DMZ, no problems EVER but I'm still in the RED (!) with uTorrent.

I've gone into the D-link router and setup the Virtual Server to no avail.

I've gone into the D-link router and setup a Firewall rule for the specific port to go directly from WAN (vonage modem IP to my PC).

I've even done the uPnP port mapping.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Are you sure it's the modem crashing, and not the D-Link? D-Links are notorious for a lot of stupid things, like being unable to handle too many connections, having a crappy UPnP spec included (which barely works with anything), destroying downloads with the DMZ mode (hashfail hell and whatnot), and just being bad in general.

I am sure is it not the d-link and here's how. When I power cycle the d-link I'm not back online. When I cycle my cable modem, I'm not back online. When I cycle my vonage modem, I'm back online.

Oh, and the crack on the d-link being a paperweight.. they're too light to be a paperweight for one and really, I've never had a problem with mine. It's done everything I've wanted it to do since day one.

- The state of DHT has no bearing whatsoever on whether you're connectable or not

- Max half open in Advanced settings --> net.max_halfopen, set it to 4 or something

- Not having Protocol Encryption enabled likely isn't causing the issue, but it doesn't hurt to enable it either.

been there, you have 2 choices.

Cripple utorrent; by reducing the max speed, and number of connections.

or

Set up a Traffic shaper; (vonage box goes behind firewall where it will be stable)

Linksys WRT54G with Third-party firmware.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

monowall (requires an old PC) this is what I use... http://m0n0.ch/wall/

Cfos (software solution, I never tried it, but may work) http://www.cfos.de/speed/cfosspeed_e.htm

This is covered in detail over and over again on DSLreports... http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vonage

• 1 year later...

Archived