Thibor 15c WRT54GL slow?

Maestrof

Hello!

I was just wondering if it is just me or does anybody else feel like the WRT54GL don´t work at 100m/bit when using bittorrent?

Like i said, i am using the latest thibor (update went flawless with NVram clear and everything) and when i'm using utorrent with about 200 connections i only get up to 1,5mb/s dl on my 100/100 connection.

With my old dlink 624+ i got about 5-6mb/s, but that crap router was constantly dropping my connection.

Is the cpu in the WRT54GL too weak or is the firmware not "perfect"....or maybe i am doing something wrong??

Hi Ultima!

Thank you for the answer.

I tried one from the page you suggested but i only got like 30-40 peers and the speed only got up to 400kb/s.

I might add that i have to use PE because of my ISP but that hasn't been a problem before.

Oh one more thing, when i am running utorrent(even on slow speed) and use ftp on my lan the ftp speed is really low but if i

shut down utorrent the ftp speed gets up to 11mb/s.

It feels like the WRT54GL gets overloaded with work when running utorrent.

I'm gonna try azureus and see if its any difference.

/Maestrof

I have now tried azureus and i get the same speed, max 2,1mb/s.

And yes i have selected xx/100mbit in the speedguide.

Its not painfully slow ;), but its a bit annoying that when i switch back to my di-624+ the speed goes up to 5-6mb/s.

I think that not so many ppl have 100/100mbit and therefore this "problem" haven't been detected yet.

My guess is hardware or firmware in WRT54GL cant handle BT at full speed.

It would be interesting to hear if someone else with WRT54GL gets higher than 2,1mb/s with utorrent.

/Maestrof

If I had to guess, I'd say DHT/UDP packets are too much for the router when combined with everything else.

Have you tried disabling DHT and NOT forwarding UDP?

If you're only getting 30-40 peers+seeds on a torrent, try limiting max connections per torrent to 50 and Global connections to only 60-100, with 2 torrents max at a time...for testing purposes. Then find 2 really populated torrents and see if you get over 1.5 MB/sec download + upload speeds.

Is it only download speeds stuck below 1.5 MB/sec or are upload speeds suffering equally?

Also, is upload speeds stabilizing at a certain value or jumping all around?

I can test that myself, I have the GL.

What is the load of the router when you're downloading torrents? It'll be in the status page.

I also suggest upgrading to HyperWRT Thibor firmware (www.thibor.co.uk) or even DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com) or even Tomato. Thibor's distro is the closest to the original Linksys firmware, but adds some opimisations, including ones for torrenting. DD-WRT gives you more control, but is completely different as well as more complex. I haven't used Tomato myself, but from all reports, it's very nice. It has dynamic graphing of router usage and speeds, which might be handy for you.

Your problem is not because uTorrent can't run at full speed, it can. Your problem is that the router can't handle too many simultanous connections, which is why BT runs so slowly while FTP transfers are fast. Because FTP is only a single high speed connection. BT usually consists (because most people have low ISP upload caps) of several to many low speed connections, hence to get a high speed you have to connect to a HUGE number of people, because each one is uploading slowly. I'm pretty sure if you made that FTP server's file into a torrent, then tried downloading it using uTorrent, it'll go up to 11mb/s too.

Archived