Wierd piece behavior?

Nefarious

I was just downlaoding a single file torrent and i noticed this behavior on it:

imagen2mh1.png

is it possible that some client is prioritizing the las pieces of the torrent? i didnt know of any client that could do that, at least not that way

or is it just a coincidence...

it is a 4GB file, so seems all the prioritized is like 1 GB, too much for a coincidence i think

I was seeding two torrents with just one mp3 file each. The torrents were both 3 month seeded, so there were only a few peers. A guy with libtorrent jumped on both torrents and its download behaviour was like OP explained. So chances are its a libtorrent client.

I'm not sure I get what's going on here, if those solid blocks were in the availability bar, it would mean that the swarm has more copies of those particular files/pieces than the rest (right?). But they're in the "downloaded" bar, meaning that your client downloaded them first, probably because you prioritized those files (is that the case?). If I interpret those bars correctly, then the availability seems to be pretty evenly distributed, so there's no reason for your client to download those particular files first, unless you prioritized them, or by some freakish convergence of factors that my tiny mind fails to grasp. :)

I think this is "allways prio rare" at work here. There are lots of clients that tend to prio the beginning of the torrent, either if u tell them to (like BC) or automagicaly (like KTorrent). If u ask me, the end of the availability bar does look whiter, the difference might have been even bigger earlier. So uT is prioritizing the rare pieces and u have what u see. And what I think is a proof to that is the single piece at the right side with a bit higher availability that uT hasn't dl-ed.

Prioritizing rare pieces wouldn't have that great an effect as to make the piece distribution extremely consolidated and dense there, though. I still say it's a coincidence (along the lines of what has been suggested -- outside interference and/or stupid clients screwing around).

There may be a sort of "light" super-seeding/initial seeding mode in libtorrent which basically only uploads the upper half or lower half of a torrent. This would only be of value in very slightly reducing piece reequests and piece list exchanges between peers and seeds.

Archived