windows 98 internet connection problem

motten

I've got utorrent 1.6 ... installed on my pc, it runs fine however.. when I'm running utorrent I can't do anything else on the internet. I can't check my email, can't visit sites etc. When I close utorrent, the connection is ok again.

I allready tried to solve it by lowering the download/upload speed, but even at the lowest down/up speed the problem still remains.. (note: I never had these kind of problems when I used kazaa lite resurrection)

I havent got a firewall, though i have a router installed...(edimax)

I've done an 'speed guide' port test and it told me:

-----------------------

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 58908 on xxx.xxx.xxx.xx... (changed my ip adress due to privacy)

Error! Port 58908 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this,

-----------------------

So I tried out that portforwarding on my edimax router with these settings:

private ip:

192.168.2.1 (my routers ip adress, i tried filling in my own ip adress, but edimax didn't accept)

Type:

TCP

Port range:

comment:

utorrent

----------------------

I don't know how to solve this...hope someone can help me out

You port forward your router, configured by 'visiting' your router's ip address in your web browser (or some specialized router config program).

However the destination of the port forward MUST be to the LAN ip your computer is currently using, or it simply won't work.

With Win 98, you must also limit global connections and connections per torrent to well under 100.

Half open connection max in µTorrent is best kept at the default value of 8 as well.

Even after all the Win 98 patches, Win 98 simply isn't as robust as Win XP for lots of connections or half open connections (after Win XP SP2 gets patched that is).

• 4 weeks later...

I have Windows 98 SE with pretty much all the patches Microsoft has released (Unofficial Service Pack 2 from http://exuberant.ms11.net/index.html ).

I also have something called Lite PC/98Lite, which strips many features out of windows that I will never need. Those components that I actually need, I have replaced with either later versions from Microsoft or 3rd party replacements.

So long as I keep global connections at 80 or less, I generally don't have a problem with µTorrent unless it's been running for days straight without a reboot. ...But in that case, the problem may be due to the 20+ browser windows I often have open at a time.

Archived