Utorrent with either of these routers?

redline001

Hi. I guess this is the closet place to where I can post something like this. I am fairly new to utorrent and routers (yes I'm poor and can only afford one computer) :-p I will be moving into my campus dorm room and will be paying for my own internet connection. I am thinking about getting either a Watchguard FireEdge hardware firewall/router or a SonicWall TZ170. Can someone point me to the right location with a detailed description of what I need to do if I were to either get a WatchGuard or SonicWall? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Lord Alderaan, I will be going with TimeWarner (yes my campus dorm room offers free wireless internet but I will not be using it). I will be paying for my own cable net service and I will be getting a Sonicwall TZ170 hardware/firewall router and i wanted to know what I need to do (a detailed guide or something) that would assist me since I already know that all hardware/firewall devices allow you to portforward.

Well, the manual should contain instructions on how to portforward in it. Maybe you are lucky and somebody here has that firewall and is prepared to go through the trouble of writing down those instructions but might I suggest just looking for the manual online. A lot of companies offer online or downloadable versions of manuals for there hardware.

Just do an ipconfig as a cmd prompt. If you get a private ip you will know if your behind a university router. If you get a public ip you won't have any problem forwarding ports. If you get private your going to be out of luck,and it won't matter what you do with your router. you will have to find open ports on your university router.

Archived