New to Torrent - where do I start?

smoothg101

Im new to this uTorrent thing, I went to the forum website http://utorrent.com/beginners-guide.php , honestly I cant understand the first thing they are talking about, Im lost, dont know what 'adding a torrent' is or why or if I should be - Ive got one file downloading, but its been going for days and days at 20 - 23 kbs/sec. Can I speed this up?

Where can I find an explanation of all this Torrent stuff in plain english for dummys ?? Any suggestions and help appreciated.

Well the beginners-guide is already written for dummy's.

Basically, you find something you want on for instance a website, but when you click the download button you get offered this .torrent file. When that happens you need to use this program to 'Add the .torrent file' which will then download the actual data you wanted.

The 'add a .torrent' part can be done automatically by choosing 'open with µtorrent' (or something similar) when you get the file offered on a website.

I hope that explains the basic purpose of µtorrent.

Thankyou Lord A.

Sorry - Im a lost cause then. And so are all my friends, no-one I know knows anything about this stuff or can follow this.

Thankyou Switeck.

did the cntl G - a panel comes up - I clicked the speed test thing - it goes to http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest - god Im lost now.

It says

Affected Settings

upload limit 47kb upload slots 4

connection per torrent 90 connections (Global) 250

Max active torrents 3 max active downloads 2

I clicked that 'test if port is forwarded properly'

it came up with -

" Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 13660 on 58.105.141.115...

Error! Port 13660 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5). "

I go there www.portforward.com ...

Holy wombat ! WHAT!?

Back on the main page it says download speed average 15.7 (today). share ratio 1.481. downloaded 2.37 uploaded 3.51.

"If so, how can you speed that up without slowing someone else down for no net change on the overall torrent?" Sorry I wish I knew what you were talking about.

Many thanks for your efforts both of you. I'll keep looking and reading, without any understanding of how computers or the internet works, most of this is Martian to me.

Good for begginers who have a concept of this stuff, but for 'real' begginers its just plain overwhelming.

No one I know understands any more than me. Dont know any computer geeks. its frieghtening, but the vast majority out there dont understand stuff like this.

anyway, let me know if you come accross a lifeline for computer illiterates

:-))

thanks again

G

Port Forwarding is a complex procedure that is very hard to explain because of the great variety in routers on this planet. Each brand of routers has a different procedure for this. Port Forwarding or port mapping as it is more often called will increase your speed greatly and remove 'not connectible' alert in µtorrent. The port forward site mentioned really is the best place to find out more.

But at least it appears downloading IS working. If a download is listed as status 'seeding' it is done downloading. However you should leave it for a while to allow other people to download it from you. Typically until the ratio column has a number greater then 1. And this often takes longer then the actual downloading part.

If the status is still 'downloading' the ETA column should give a indication of how long its still gonna take. This isn't really precise but should give you an indication if its gonna take hours, days or weeks.

I hope to have broadened your understanding a bit more.

The thing is that computer illiterates often don't get that far with a computer that they need µtorrent. As soon as someone comes knocking here usually they have some basic understanding of computers, the internet and some of its mechanics.

Archived