IP to report to tracker - Resolve DNS

infirmus

It would be useful if the "Report IP to tracker" option was able to resolve a dns name into a IP (what Azureus does with its "Override IP" option).

This will enable people who have dynamic IP's to use the option.

I for example have problems connecting to port 80 trackers because they detect my ISP's transparent proxy instead of my IP. I cannot just enter an IP in the "Report IP to tracker" box because my IP is dynamic, but if I could enter a dns address that always points to my correct IP (eg xxxx.dyndns.org), problem solved!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm missing that feature, too. In my opinion, an important thing for the option would be not to resolve the (dyndns) host only once on startup. seems like azureus works that way. when i reconnect and get another ip, i always get nat probs. so i'd suggest resolution every (nth) tracker update or on an independent regular basis.

I am running a tracker on Linux firewall/server box, which receives my ISP-assigned IP. This is the box that updates my dynamic DNS at dyndns. I run utorrent on a windows box on internal LAN. This local LAN IP is the one that shows up on tracker, not the "IP to report to tracker" that i have added to network options. There is no difference if the "bind to" IP is included or left blank. I don't have this problem when using BitTornado. Something different with utorrent.

I am running a tracker on Linux firewall/server box, which receives my ISP-assigned IP. This is the box that updates my dynamic DNS at dyndns. I run utorrent on a windows box on internal LAN. This local LAN IP is the one that shows up on tracker, not the "IP to report to tracker" that i have added to network options. There is no difference if the "bind to" IP is included or left blank. I don't have this problem when using BitTornado. Something different with utorrent.
Whoa, theres something very wrong there.

edit:

Theres also another request for this feature here -

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?t=618

• 1 month later...

I would like to see this feature too, the best would be resolving it every tracker update.

The following explaing why would i want this feature:

I am often using a torrent as a way to get the camcorder videos made by my relatives in USA to both me and my parents at the same time, while tracking the torrent at the same PC, using the BNBT tracker. Since i have dynamic IP, every time it changes i must enter it manually, if i dont enter anything at all, the tracker detects the uTorrent running on the same PC as having a local IP address. Entering my dyndns host name would be an excellent solution for this.

PS: I know it's kinda silly to do a first post on Feature Requests branch, sorry about that :)

Archived