Suddenly university campus blocked torrent traffic.

junglemike

I was always using wifi in my campus to run utorrent, But they somehow managed to block it. Utorrent can see all the peers, all the sworms, but up and down speed is always =0.

I've tried enabling encription - no effect. Other services that use various ports, like msn, gmail talk still work. It just torrent.

Do you have any Idea how they did it?

What can I do to "fix" it?

What If my ISP desides to do the same thing?

TIA

My university blocks P2P and ports. Can't use uTorrent or any other torrent/p2p software UNTIL, I managed to find these 2 lovely softwares.

Now uTorrent works fine through my school's 'firewalled' lan. Good game.

http://proxylabs.netwu.com/

http://www.your-freedom.net/

I'd suggest you pay for your-freedom by getting at least 256 Kbps. I have 4 Mbps connection, and during the night when not alot of people are online, i get speeds around 100-200 K/s.

Hope this helps.

My campus blocks in a different way. I'm not at all able to connect to any trackers. But I had a friend connect the torrent I was trying to get, once, and give me the peer list. I manually added a bunch of peers and I could connect fine to the ones that were supporting protocol encryption.

So the campus is somehow blocking my tracker connections. Any ideas?

I see. A question about proxies- does the proxy download the data to itself, and then automatically send it to the client, OR does it somehow connect the client directly to the requested website, and the data transfers to the client without being stored on the proxy? This would translate to: is the client's transfer speed bottlenecked by the proxy's?

As long as it's only tracker communication that is proxied, then no, the transfer speeds won't be directly bottlenecked by the proxy. BUT, realize that being behind a proxy is almost like being firewalled. If you're going to use a proxy, be sure to fill in Preferences > BitTorrent > IP/Hostname to report to tracker, with your current external WAN IP address (though it might not work for all trackers).

Is there a way that I can only proxy tracker communication with uTorrent?

Edit: I'll try proxylabs with this setting: Options>Preferences>Connection>Proxy Server..

Type = ? haha, I'll figure it out

Use Proxy Server For Peer-to-Peer connections = unchecked

Edit2: Never mind... ProxyCap is just a client program, I think..

Edit 3: I tried this with Your Freedom, and it's working beautifully. Your Freedom has you register and download a client application to connect to one of their many proxies. You then tell uTorrent to connect to the YourFreedom client on your own computer, which is already connected to the proxy.

This is working like a charm! Finally! Thanks so much, Ultima, for clearing up all the confusion for me. And thanks, SerialKilla for the link!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Such a proxy has to upload and download everything you want to send/receive twice, so it isn't surprising if it's limited to 8 KB/sec.

You'll probably need to use the Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and choose the xx/64k setting.

...and even after that, you'll probably get better results by reducing global max connections to 15-25 and per-torrent to 20-30.

And also reduce half open connection rate in advanced settings to only 2-4.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

sweatpants, i've had success connecting to the your-freedom proxies, but no success in utorrent communicating with it on my own pc. I constantly get red download arrows (which signify tracker problems, really) and the tracker message: [Proxy connect error: connection closed by peer]. I may just not be putting the settings from your-freedom into utorrent right, or maybe there's something on y-f that i need to forward or other... heh.

good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Meister, did you follow the instructions above to get it working in uTorrent? It works fine for me when I'm stuck in lab at my University and I want to download something. Just make sure to put in the proxy settings correctly and it works fine.

As a side note, my speeds are great right now. I was downloading from TL and I was getting approximately 320 kb/s. The only issue I'm having is that I have no upload capacity, which sucks. Any ideas?

Archived