Download speed getting low....please help

ash1976

Hi i am new over here.I just need your guidance on the decreasing download speed. My download usually 100 ~ 140 KB/s usually but recently the download have been decrease to 0 ~ 20 KB/s.

The file indeed are well seeded.

Using Win XP

My connection is 10.0Mbps

Isp TM Net Malaysia.

Have patch the to SP2 open to 50 and TCP optimizer set to 1280 Kbps

Port forward are Green under 61777 port

Global max upload rate KB : 96

Alternate upload rate : uncheck

Global max download rate : 0

UnPnP : uncheck

Global max connection : 1209

Max no. connected peers per torrent : 150

No. of upload slot per torrent : 24

Enable DHT Network : check

Enable DHT For new torrent : check

Enable peer exchange : check

Ask tracker for scrape info : check

Prtocol outgoing : Enable

Allow incoming legacy : check

Max no. of active torrent DL-UL : 4

Max no. of active download : 3

net. max _halfopen : 40

peer disconnect_inactive intervel : 600

peer lazy_bitfield : true

Is my setting correct ? Any advise changing please do advise me.

Or is it the ISP problem.

Your help are very much appreciated .

Considering your ISP, you need to go with much lower settings.

Run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and try the xx/512k setting.

If that doesn't help, lower it to the xx/384k or even the xx/256k setting.

Also, reduce net.max_halfopen back to 8. The advantage in setting it higher is lost if you're not firewalled -- most of your connections will come from incoming ips trying to connect to you! Just because your computer can handle a higher halfopen value doesn't mean your router, modem, or ISP will. :(

So with throttled conditions, your best results would probably come from finding out if they allow x KB/sec PER connection or Y KB/sec TOTAL speed for BitTorrent traffic.

If it's per connection, then lots of connections (up to maybe 100) should give you the best download speed...at the expense of others.

If it's throttled based on TOTAL speed, then you want far fewer connections to reduce overheads which eat into your download+upload speeds.

My bet is it's total speed. They'd be crazy+stupid to do it any other way.

I have try out now ... setting at

Global max upload rate KB : 25

Alternate upload rate : uncheck

Global max download rate : 0

UnPnP : uncheck

Global max connection : 134

Max no. connected peers per torrent : 80

No. of upload slot per torrent : 3

Enable DHT Network : check

Enable DHT For new torrent : check

Enable peer exchange : check

Ask tracker for scrape info : check

Prtocol outgoing : Enable

Allow incoming legacy : check

Max no. of active torrent DL-UL : 5

Max no. of active download : 5

net. max _halfopen : 8

peer disconnect_inactive intervel : 300

peer lazy_bitfield : true

The download speed have a 60~80 KB. But its decreases after several minutes. Then i try on refresh my connection its boost again and decreases laters.

So is it the isp is trottling the speeds ? How can i get to know results allow x KB/sec PER connection or Y KB/sec TOTAL speed for BitTorrent traffic..?:)

Ok, it may just be DHT's UDP packets being too much for your connection -- try disabling that.

...if that doesn't help, try reducing net.max_halfopen to only 4.

...if that doesn't help, reduce global connections to 60 and connections per torrent to 35 -- and also reduce total active torrents (and downloading torrents) to only 3.

Barring all that, have you tried downloading the OpenOffice "test" torrent which is known for its phenominal download speeds? If that doesn't download quickly even with as few as 20 total connections allowed to it, then chances are your ISP is just screwing over BitTorrent traffic regardless of number of connections or speed of connections.

Ash, I'm getting the same problem as you. Two weeks ago I could reach 140kb at around 5am in the morning. Now TMnet has throttled down the bandwidth so that I'm lucky if I can get above 5kb during normal hours.

However there's a possible workaround. The VPN at secureix.com seems to push the speed up a bit. It's 6 pm right now and I'm getting perhaps 75% of what I would use to get at this hour, in terms of speed. The drawback is the VPN keeps on getting disconnected every 10 minutes or so. If you set it to auto-redial this isn't really a big problem, except that every time it disconnects your torrents are disconnected too... luckily reconnection is swift..

I soooo wish there was another option.. another ISP... Malaysia sucks.

Archived