Download speed won't go above 40kbs

steve8132

I'm new to this but have a 2mb connection but can't get downloads faster than 40kbs. I have run a speed test & my upload speed is set at 220kbs.My ISP does not appear to be on the throttle list.Should I have DHT enabled or not? Anybody got any ideas on what down load speed I should be able to achieve & how I go about doing it?

Well, I have ADSL 2mb/256kbps, uTorrent's speed wizard says 22Kb/s, but I found out that setting it to 16 while downloading is an immense boost to download speed (22+KBs/s upload chokes my connection). I'm currently downloading at 130-140Kbs/s from a torrent with 64 seeds/ 48 peers. If you've run the Speed Wizard, make sure you selected the correct upload setting, if that doesn't work, try lowering your upload a bit. Make sure your have the ports uTorrent uses forwarded in your router. If your router doesn't have a problem with DHT (apparently some do), enable it, it's good for finding more peers. Be sure that you're not running more torrents than the speed wizard setting.

Also enable Peer Exchange whether you enable DHT or not. Peer Exchange "asks" peers+seeds you're connecting to for lists of ips of peers+seeds connected to them that you might not otherwise see. It's much easier on a connection/router/modem/etc than DHT (which uses UDP packets).

Archived