Cannot manage > 1.3mb/sec

nexx

I know 1.3mb/sec is plenty, but I'd like to get the most out of my connection! (20/1mbit ADLS2+).

It seems that no matter what utorrent settings or how many torrents I have going...uTorrent never downloads more than a total of 1.3mB/sec for me.

For example: If I have 2 torrents, each on it's own capable of 900+kb/sec download...when I try to download both at the same time...each sits at ~650kb. If I stop one, the other jumps up to full speed.

Are there any uTorrent or WinXP settings I can play with to try and fix this? I can manage >2MB/sec with multithreaded HTTP andf FTP downloads, although I assume bittorrent has more overhead which might affect it?

--

Currently using the xx/1Mbit preset (I only have 1mbit upload).

Windows XP, Service Pack 2.

Modem: Belkin F1PI241ENau.

--

Thanks for any help!

I don't know specifically about Beklin modems, but Belkin routers cannot handle lots of connections. (even 100 may be too much!)

BitTorrent has much more overhead, but more specifically MOST people can't upload very fast in total...and they often split their upload speed among multiple upload slots PER torrent, multiple torrents, and other internet activities.

Worse, many of the faster lines are firewalled and you cannot connect to their ips...you have to wait for them to connect to you. With 2 separate torrents running, you have potentially a bigger "pool" of fast (and probably firewalled) connections to download from...so there should be some download speed increases even though your upload speed hasn't changed.

Archived