Some ports and their uses. A guide of some sorts. And a theory........

jroc

These 2 sites I use faithfully to try to find a decent port(s).

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/app_port_list.htm

The other site is near the top where it says "Tip: There's a reference list of port definitions here." Its right above messaging & conferencing.

I have a lil theory about ports. My ISP is blocking me. I wonder if I used a port that was common for online gaming or messaging, would my ISP be fooled? The reason why I think that is cuz in Shareaza, it gave me a random port in the 2400's. I see on this list that something called Battlecom uses port 2400. hmm...... Notice that some of the ports are really low. Not as low as port 80, but lower than we would normally use. If u dont have that service or app running or on ur machine, couldnt it trick the ISP? Let me know what u think. Its just my theory. :)

So if Im understanding u correctly, they would be able to tell the difference between a voip service and bittorrent, right? Im just trying to find a solution to them blocking my uploading. I cant upload my own torrents anymore. Titan has the same problem. Alot of us might do, too. Thats what made me think of this a possible solution.

Archived