pnp port

HRZ

hello guys,

I have a big problem with pnp ports,I wanna use utorrent in a public internet center,but it seems they have blocked access to all pnp ports,not only utorrent,but also other torrent and p2p programs don't work!windows firewall is also another problem,it blocks all p2p programs and I can't do anything!:(

well I have two questions:

1.How can I disable windows firewall WITHOUT administrator rights(maybe to hack it somehow!)?

2.How can I search for an open pnp port or maybe open one?

thanks!

1. You can't. We won't help you if you plan on "hacking" the computer.

2. UPnP (which I assume you're referring to) doesn't care about what port is open or not -- it opens one for you. If it doesn't work, then there's nothing you can do, as you don't own/control the network you're trying to use.

Ok then,forget windows firewall,I got a labtop and I'll use it there,so windows firewall is nomore a problem.but the problem with the Upnp port still exists.

I tryed a port explorer.As it showed,many programs (like download managers) were using ports,but none of those ports worked for utorrent.One of my friends said those are http ports and not Upnp,so they don't work with utorrent(Don't know if he's right or not!).

You said utorrent opens a Upnp port,so what does it mean when it can't open one?

And,isn't there a program which would be able to search for Upnp ports than are open or CAN be opened so that I wouldn't have to search the ports one by one?

Again thanks for your help!

µTorrent uses UDP packets only for DHT. If you disable that, µTorrent uses TCP packets for almost everything else(note!)...which is what HTTP also uses.

(NOTE on almost everything else: If you have resolve ips or show country flags enabled, the calls to the DNS servers are probably UDP packets as well. That can be disabled too though.)

• 1 month later...

They use UPnP ports because you actually WANT someone to connect to you. If you do manual port forwarding, you don't need to use UPnP...as you've already done the work UPnP tries to do.

Download managers connect to UNFIREWALLED websites. So they have already done the port forwarding and then it doesn't matter that you may be firewalled because you can still connect to them. It's Client-Server for download managers, but peer-to-peer for file sharing...totally different network topology.

If you don't have UPnP, then you are firewalled in most conditions.

However µTorrent *CAN* run even if firewalled.

It just can only download+upload with unfirewalled seeds/peers...which may be few in number, thus hurting your speed some. But that's better than no speed.

Archived