Looking for a program...

ph0rn

NetLimiter doesn't prioritize ACKs,

I am absolutely stunned to hear this.. I've been using it for ages and, believe me, I've abused my internet connection every way I could and never got any of the symptoms usually associated with upstream choking. In fact, I had them before and they went away after I installed NetLimiter. I could swear I saw a reference to prioritization on the site but I never looked back after it started working for me.

Now you've got me completely puzzled. How could it have worked for me then? Maybe there's something else in the code that makes applications play nice.

cFosSpeed IS superior to Netlimiter. cFosSpeed does application prioritization which is really cool. NetLimiter does exactly what ph0rn requested and, based on my own experience, it did a whole lot more.

NetLimiter is an easy install while cFosSpeed might require some tweaking.

As I said earlier, NetLimiter was meant to allow you to control how much bandwidth each specific application gets. cFosSpeed prioritizes their packets, but doesn't tell each application how much bandwidth they can use. Both applications do different things, and though the side-effect of either one's intended use might overlap with the other's, they weren't really designed to do the same thing.

As far as ph0rn's request goes, NetLimiter gets the job done (I'm not sure if cFosSpeed can display how much bandwidth an individual application is using). There are a lot of freeware programs out there that measure bandwidth usage, though, so NetLimiter isn't the most economical choice.

Archived