Problem with .torrent file association

dougb415

I am setting up utorrent 1.6.1 on a new pc (still runs fine on my old pc). Installation went okay, port forwarding is working, etc. I downloaded a torrent file, and then set the system so that .torrent files are associated with utorrent.

Now when I try to download a torrent file, instead of getting a box asking me if I want to open or save "filename.torrent", I get a box asking me if I want to save "filename[1]". If I save it as "filename.torrent", then I get a new dialog box asking me if I want to open or save it. I click 'open' and utorrent start downloading the file.

What would be causing my system to take the .torrent file extension and change it to [1]? Should I try to re-do the file association? This is with IE6.

Thanks,

Doug

Right now I'm not at home to give it a try, but I can use my old PC at the same site and the torrents do not give me any trouble. In other words:

Old PC: if I click on "filename.torrent" at a site, I get a dialog box asking me if I want to open or save "filename.torrent" (this is the expected result)

New PC: if I click on "filename.torrent" from the same site as above, I get a dialog box asking me if I want to save "filename[1]"

I'll try the site you listed later tonight. Thanks!

Archived