Wow...

speed d

i was previously using bittorrent and was getting between 0 and 1 kb/s for download time for stuff. then i noticed the 7 peers i had were all using utorrent and were all downloading at like 500kb/s. so i downloaded it to see what it was all about and was amazed. guess what? my download speed increased! the download i was doing on bittorrent was at 0% after a day, while utorrent got it to 100% in less than an hour. i had like 1000 peers with 50 giving data to me. what kind of idiot uses bittorrent???

The best results can be had by all if you also run the Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and choose an upload bandwidth setting that closest matches your connection.

Running 1000 connections at once probably reduces your download speed, as that many costs a pretty big chunk of bandwidth just to sustain...even when they send you nothing!

• 2 weeks later...

hello everybody ....i need a help of wise man....

Today i installed utorrent ....can anyone tell me ...wat r the thing we can get from this utorrent.....i didn't find anything yet from utorrent .....so can u plz tell me abt this ....

I wish I could say the same but I have tried BitComet, Azureus, and Utorrent, and found no speed difference at all, no matter what I do. My connect is only 512/128 kbps, and my UL speed runs at a near constant 12 KB, with a DL that ranges widely. I've tried reducing my UL to 10 KB max and my DL appears to decrease also when I do so. If I set my UL to unlimited, it runs about 17-23 KB so I feel 12 KB max is safe to use. I can DL direct from a website and see transfer rates around 50 KB or higher, so I feel I have DL capacity but it is seldom used.

Torrent Client programs makes no difference in Upload / Download speeds

Only the sender / receiver bandwidth and ISP is what makes the difference.

You can only receive as fast as the sender's upload speed allows.

it doesn't matter if you have a fiber optic 100 Mbps connection, when the Seed is on a 33.6 kbps modem :P

Perhaps I'm wrong, but looking at the Peer DL column when I see 2 and 3 digit DL speeds I would assume they are not modem connected, and should be capable of UL speeds exceeding .2 - 1.4 kB/s. It's not unusual for me to see all the numbers in my DL column in kB's while my UL column shows numbers in 10's of MB's. Many new peers appear and quickly complete and disappear, with the only good result is I achieve a good ratio but fail to complete for a very long time. Compounding the problem is if someone appears that causes hash fails I quickly accumulate many MB's of DL that will be discarded leaving me to have to DL anew and also UL more to maintain my ratio. The longer a piece remains incomplete the more vulnerable it becomes in my opinion. And I have seen cases where hash fails occur that are unintentional, in one case the original seed had some problem which was the cause of the hash fails and corrected whatever the problem was and then apologized to the peers. My ISP also makes firmware changes which requires me to make some adjustments as their changes sometimes cause hash fails.

I just became aware of a new client that may reduce my problems and will give it a try once I finish up the torrent I'm running now.

>.> .... again it doesn't matter how fast you upload to Them, the people uploading to you (download) are slow , and there isn't much you can do about that.

Most people Limit their bandwidth, so even if they can do 72 kbyte / s (800+ kbps) like i do, no one is willing to put all the bandwidth up, most people set the max upload to like 10~20 kybte at best. (150~300 kbps)

That's nice, but it appears there are non-leeching means of improving ones DL as the app I have been trying since last night appears to really optimize the speed of a torrent. I'm watching a torrent running now with 5 seeds and 9 peers, which has continuous DL occurring from 2 to 3 seeds and 5 to 7 peers, keeping my UL nearly constant between 12 and 13 kB/s so improvement is possible. And this is the 4th torrent I've tested with. The first 2 achieved for the first time ever DL speeds in the 50 kB/s and occasionally into the 60 kB/s range. One torrent I have been running on uTorrent for some time now with 0 DL to just over 3 kB/s tops ran to completion with a DL speed continuously over 11 kB/s and thanks to the slow DL experienced running on uTorrent I had already accumulated well over a 1.000 ratio, but will continue to seed just to see how the new app works when seeding alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know, guess you have checked so that you have the green circle in the bottom, so you don't have any problems with port forwarding or firewalls. other then that I can't see what the problem is right now. I'm always running in "good" speed (of courze it depends on the peer on the torrent from time to time) with about 20 active torrents, and download speeds at about 1.5-2 mb/s and upload at about 800 kb/s. Though it sounds like the new client is working for you, you might want to stick with that. Was just wondering if there is nothing that can be done about ut, since utorrent is where resourcefriendly.

priyatanuroy,

1 Mbps download is only 1024 kilobits/sec theoretical max. Many ISPs STATE that, but due to realities actual bandwidth is probably only about 700-900 kilobits/sec.

It takes about 9-10 kilobits/sec of bandwidth to create 1 KILOBYTE/sec of download speed!

The same is true about upload bandwidth, except if you have a "1 Mbps connection" you may only have 128 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth!

@priyatanuroy And if you use a PPPoE connection you lose another 8byte per packet for the authentication.

For a 1 mbit connection in theory you could have 128kb/s.

But I'd guess that you can get maybe 115kb/s if you live close to the telephone station/terminal where your phonecable is connected to the DSLAM (and PSTN for analog phone). And if you have a bit longer rage to the station your 90kb/s is where normal. And if you have a wlan at home you will most likey lose some more. And the conditions of the equipment is essential too. (mostly the phone cable to the modem, and the lenght of that) All these are varibles to think about if you have a DSL connection.

But my guess is that that will be the max connection speed for you, and it is "normal".

Archived