uPnP intermittently working in 1.7 (1875)

digitize

I haven't seen anyone say uPnP is still bugged in the latest beta build, so I guess I will report my problem here. I'm using Vista Home Premium and uPnP fails to map the port probably about 80% of the time (if not more). I should probably say that uPnP port mapping always worked flawlessly under XP (using 1.6.1). In case it matters, my router is a Linksys BEFSX41 v.2 w/ the latest firmware installed.

Here's the story: during the few times that I can get uPnP to work on its own, the logger first displays this message:

UPnP: Discovered new device: http://192.168.1.1:2468//WANIPConnection

and then it maps the port successfully. However, the rest of the time when port mapping fails, there was never any message about it discovering a device. I'm assuming the device in question is the router, but why would it be able to detect it only part of the time, instead of every time, like it used to do under XP?

I have managed to find a workaround though. While uTorrent is running, if I bring up the router's webpage, go to the uPnP forwarding page and manually forward the port, when I close uTorrent and refresh the router's page, the port I manually mapped has been auto-unmapped (by uTorrent presumably). The next time I open up uTorrent, the device is discovered and the auto-mapping works as it should (until the next time it freaks out and decides to stop working again). Nothing else seems to make a difference, including restarting uTorrent, rebooting the computer, etc.

Any ideas?

I'm sorry but I don't know how to open the XML file. I clicked on your link, but just get 'page can't be displayed'. I searched through the FAQ and the forum but am not seeing anything on how to open the file (or even where the xml file is located). If you could clarify this I would be happy to provide you with the code.

No, I could never get uPnP to work in Vista with 1.6.1. So, I'm happy I can at least get it to work part of the time with 1.7. :)

As for possibly having too many uPnP ports opened in the router, that doesn't appear to be the case. I checked all the router admin pages and nothing else is being forwarded, no special ports are open, etc. Its all the same as it was when I was running XP.

This problem happened to me a couple of times after installing 1875. I worked around it by clicking the button for another random port number, and then waiting until uTorrent got around to checking its uPnP port mapping (which I think happens every 10 minutes or so).

The first port that uTorrent picked when it first ran build 1875 was port 1063, I think. A port in the range of 13000 was picked for the second random port. The third random port, which has been working for close to 24 hours is 63855. I'm guessing that it isn't port number-related, but stranger things have happened.

Port 1063 falls in the ephemeral port range and may already be in use...or used not long ago. So it may be tied up or fail UPnP for some other bizzare reason. Any port beyond 10000 is less likely to be used "by default" by anything.

Archived