Slow Swarm?

DBen

Hi

I have a 1500/256 connection, and I've configured everything properly, and when I used one of the test downloads on the setup guide, I got the proper speed of around 150kbs, but when I try to download a torrent, I'm getting such slow speeds that 5kbs is great. I'm connected to 2 of 2 seeds and 3 of 8 peers. Is it just the swarm (I think thats the word) thats screwing me over and is there anything I can do to make it faster.

Thanks

EDIT: Oh and I've got it set on xx/256 and the upload is around the 15-22 area but the download is only half or a third of that. (Peaks around 11-12 usually, but not for long.

Limewire != BitTorrent. You can't make any comparison. And 150 is a pretty normal maximum for your connection.

Anyway, the torrent you picked just sucks. You can try turning on protocol encryption but it probably won't help.

OK tried that. Didn't seem to make any significant difference. I tried another torrent and it brings the total download speed to about 50-90 kbs, however it fluctates quite a bit and it isn't as fast as I thought it would.

Heres a screenshot if it helps. I'm not sure if that fluctuating is normal.

utorrentin3.jpg

The 2nd torrent in your picture is pretty typical of 'old' torrents: few seeds and peers...and those that remain aren't fast. About all you can expect is download speeds roughly equal to your upload speed.

That first torrent is exceptional. You're uploading at 5 KiloBYTES/sec but getting over 60 KiloBYTES/sec back. That excess comes from somewhere. Someone's getting a lot less than they're giving.

Archived