no router and persistent red status icon

seven50three

I just setup QWEST DSL 7Mb. I am not using a router, just ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.337.000 as my firewall. uTorrent has all necessary permissions. The modem is an Actiontec M1000. Speed tests indicate I am getting 452 KB d/l and 80 u/l but actual uTorrent d/l doesn't get higher than 75 KB/s. The status icon is yellow when I open the program and then turns red after a while. It will not turn green. I have my speed guide settings at the proper limits and have encryption enabled. I have tried to test if ports are forwarded properly but no matter how many I try it says they are closed. I don't need to forward ports if I don't have a router do I? Is there anything else that could be causing this?

On the opposite side...

Is your UPLOAD speed in µTorrent actually REACHING and SUSTAINING for more than 5 seconds the max upload speeds limits you told it to use?

If it's not, then it's not just the download speed that's falling short!

...your connection may not be as fast as you think, at least for BitTorrent!

So, if so, what settings are you using...as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G)?

My upload speeds are reaching the limit and sustaining it consistently. In monitoring the connection over the last few days it seems that I am only download limited at certain times of the day. I can get maximum set limits at other times. My connection is rated at 7mb but speed tests reveal it maxs out at 3.54mb. Do you think this discrepency is normal for an ISP like Qwest?

• 1 year later...

I have Qwest's 12mbps service.

Their upload is 856kbps, so don't set the upload allowed above 50kBps or you'll slow down your internet so much.

Also for your connection, while your using it don't set your download limit to higher then about 300kBps

Qwest doesn't limit speed for bit Torrent packets either, I ran a couple test I found that check.

Archived