Newb Questions

Xet

I couldn't really find any answers from a quick search on Google. Better yet, I didn't understand anything.

Does uPnP and DHT create any problems with security? In other words, is it good or bad to enable these two? Any warnings if I do or don't? Will I be caught sharing? I don't understand the level of security involved in using bittorrents.

I'm behind a router on DSL. I have the router's firewall disabled and it tells me I have connectivity problems. I'm lost. I have to enable port forwarding but I see no point if I'm not behind a firewall.

UPnP tries to auto-forward a port from your router to your computer so µTorrent isn't firewalled.

DHT is a network of peers+seeds that share info on who has/is downloading what torrents.

Neither one is really for or against security.

Also, almost nothing about BitTorrent has any level of "security" in the sense of hiding what you're doing from others on the torrents. You connect to a TRACKER, it has to know your ip in order to function right...it gives your ip out to others so they can connect to you. Hard to be any more obvious than that!

• 2 months later...

I just started using utorrent a week ago. I haven't found what I am looking for in search.

I was trying to remove the seeded (finished) downloads from my queu, but when I do it seems it also removes it from seed. I want others to be able to use me as a seed, but I don't want it confusing me so much while I download. Is there a way to do that. Can you point me in the right direction. Thanx spazpc

Archived