Red Icons

twitch82

Hi,

I recently upgraded to uTorrent 1.7.2, I've been using it for a week so far. As far as I can tell, the red icons never turn green. The error I'm receiving is "An invalid argument was supplied." for all torrents. I've read the faq, where it doesn't sound like a serious error to have the red icons. The torrents download fine, and at a good speed. I'm just curious as to why they won't turn green?

As I said, I've read the faq and done the speed test as well as all the tips within. I'm using AVG for internet protection.

thanks.

how you knew that is curious

Moderators can see users' IPs :P

I'm not really sure how Shaw throttles, but I do know that Rogers and Shaw are among the most notorious ISPs for throttling. If they do anything to block P2P, they'll do it to the extreme.

If it happens to every tracker, you should be, as trackers are just about the only way you'd be able to get peers. Well, DHT could be a replacement for trackers, but it doesn't work with private torrents. You'll most likely have a hard time torrenting if you can't connect to trackers.

Shaw uses Ellacoya technology to manipulate speeds of BitTorrent and other P2P applications. They aren't that aggressive about it though. At 3am I can get connection speeds of about 3400/500kbps, and torrent speeds of about 2400/500kbps. The down speed is a about 70%, while up speed is about 100%. Even during peak times, it's similar representational percentages, so I wouldn't consider that very notorious.

That is slightly beside the point though. Shaw does nothing to block trackers, and s such can't do anything to resolve your issue. It sounds like there is something going on within your network. Since it is happening with the trackers which are (in most cases) HTTP traffic, I would guess that you have some malware or other software mangling the GET requests sent to trackers. Use a packet sniffer such as Wireshark or WPE Pro to monitor the traffic to and from the tracker, and see if anything looks suspicious to you.

BTW, out of curiosity, what part of Canada are you in?

Nope, I am a citizen of Canada's neighbor to the south.

@nos_slived: News to me, a but good chunk of information. I always have a bad impression of Shaw as being an aggressive ISP, but I guess that's out the window. Thanks for the clarification :)

I appreciate the info, I'm downloading wireshark as we speak and will test over night. I have Adaware and Spybot on top of AVG, I run daily scans. I haven't seen anything threating, so I'm assuming it's something else. I also wasn't aware Telus had a internet provider service. I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Yourself?

There's no need to run it over night, you'll only need to run for about 10 seconds while it checks a tracker (right-click a torrent and select Update Trackers). As long as you use a public tracker such as ThePirateBay (so it doesn't contain user data), you can post the outgoing request and incoming reply to/from one of the trackers. I haven't used Wireshark since Ethereal, but it will probably show traffic to/from IP/port and the packet data. Go to one of the torrents, right-click, select properties, and copy the URL of one of the trackers. Run cmd.exe and type "ping <tracker URL>". It will then say something along the lines of "pinging <tracker IP> with 32 bytes of data"; copy this IP address. Wireshark should have a filter box at the top of the log window, enter (without quotes) "ip.dst == <tracker IP>" and click Apply. That will limit results to tracker requests. If you click on one of these, the data window should have some readable text that says "GET /announce" or something along those lines. Copy that starting from "GET" and ending with the last piece of readable English, that can be posted. Then clear the filter and enter "ip.src == <tracker IP>", which will limit results to data returned from the tracker. Look for a packet that includes the message "An invalid argument was supplied.", and post that.

I'm in Vancouver, BC.

I'm quite possibly doing something wrong.

I've gone specifically to Pirates Bay as per the example. Downloaded a random torrent. Right clicked the torrent, properties, selected to copy a random tracker, at which point I entered in cmd: c:\ping http://tracker.hexagon.cc:2710/announce

At which point I receive the error message "Ping request could not find host http://tracker.hexagon.cc:2710/announce. Please check the name and try again."

At this point I can't continue with the remainder of your post. Obviously I could just post from Wireshark the capture interface of my IP. However, I imagine that would be riddled with garbage and hard to sift through.

Thoughts?

***edit

Please disregard, as I had to try several variations of the copy&paste before I received the IP information we were looking for.

****edit

It appears even after getting the IP I was unsuccessful getting Wireshark to produce anything. I entered in the commands you gave me in the filter, after starting a new live capture, I clicked apply. At which point I updated the trackers on my torrent. Unfortunately nothing came up. I'll read the help me file for Wireshark tomorrow to get a better understanding.

*****edit

I've been unable to locate the problem, any troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Archived