CPU system drag by Zone Alarm VSMON, need help

freakshow

I've seen it mentioned, but I can't seem to find a solutions posted. uT works great, but

VSMON causing a large cpu drag that appears to be caused by µTorrent traffic.

I'm using the ca etrust security suite firewall, on W2Kpro. I've increased the cache in uT to 64MB, unchecked write out pieces immediately. But the problem seems to be the firewall resolving IPs or logging. CPU spikes to 80-100 percent every 5-6 seconds.

There must be a way to make an exception for the uT traffic, but I'm not sure what I need to do.

The CA eTrust AV/Firewall is a piece of crap that itself causes lengthy CPU spikes for no discernible reason. The InoTask and InoRT processes start going crazy once in a while and lock up the whole system. So are you sure it's uTorrent or just the program itself going loco?

Also, are you using both the ZoneAlarm firewall (VSMon) and the CA eTrust Security Suite firewall simultaneously? That's never a good thing to do...

Thanks for the reply, This symptom of CPU spikes does happen without uT running, but not nearly as bad (about 50 %). Occasionally a Flash object or something would cause heavy load - The P2P activity puts it over the top - loco as you say.

I'm using Etrust v.2 which has the ZA engine, NOT using both.

I'm using this because it came with some hw and so it was free fw and av protection.

(Comp. is a homebuild 3.06GHz PentiumD, MSI MB, 1G ram, - nothing really special, it just works)

I'm open to suggestions, so what would you recommend as an alternate FW?

thanks again

Many software firewalls, antivirus programs etc. have kernel services and other system hooks running even when you 'quit' the program from the taskbar etc. So if you continue to face problems even after turning off the firewall, you might want to uninstall it altogether.

Right.

the system runs a lot better with it off (of course).

I'll look at the Process explorer and see what that reveals.

I get a little jitter from mp3s over the lan, but that's could be the uT overhead and not the fw hooks.

I guess i could run Faber toy, discover all the hooks and components, and write a batch to end everything, but we might be asking for trouble using this method.

I like that avatar pic aj.-thanks

Archived