robincheema

That's because I moved it from the other thread due to...

@robincheema: Hijacking! Don't hijack threads!

And no, there isn't a way to do this in µTorrent. And yes, it's been requested before (by me, and probably by others before me). And I find it hard to believe that the Azureus calculator would screw your connection up, considering the fact that it gives settings very similar to µTorrent's Speed Guide anyway.

No it isn't, it produces near optimal settings, which are as Ultima stated, "very similar to µTorrent's Speed Guide anyway". If you plug various values into it, you'll get nearly the same settings that the speed guide produces, if not identical.

If it's causing you problems, it's because of something you're doing. Either entering the wrong up speed value, or simply taking the results and plugging them in µTorrent without ensuring that your network can handle them.

The Azureus U/L settings calculator seems ok, but to point out a few minor problems:

At the very low-end for upload speed (below 64 kilobits/sec), the recommended number of max connections is WAY too high! (Maximum number of connections should NEVER exceed upload bandwidth in kilobits/sec!)

Even faster upload speeds allow a bit too many connections in my opinion.

On the other hand, the Max simultaneous downloads and Max active torrents could be slightly higher without any problems for 300-1000 kilobits/sec upload ranges. It's generally a good idea to have 1 more active torrent than downloading torrents so you seed for longer before starting new torrents.

The average upload speed per upload slot is best if it's in the 3-10 KiloBYTES/sec range, but it's ok for it to be 2 KiloBYTES/sec for the lower end upload speeds.

One thing I've not really seen noted is µTorrent has severe problems with just 1 or 2 upload slots per torrent. µTorrent seems to do best with 4-8 upload slots, if it can still upload 3-10 KiloBYTES/sec per upload slot.

Archived