utorrent disappears

stamate_filip

Hey there,

I actually registered to say that my utorrent disappears also, it's 3rd time :)

I save it to desktop, when I run it it disappears.

Doing a search on all hard disks doesn't find it anymore. Means, I will stop it a bit later on, when I want to run it again, I'll need to download it. Settings remain and luckily it's so small, I'll just make a bookmark to the download url. :)

I don't even have an antivirus yet (fresh system) and no, I don't have a virus :)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

Has there been any resolution to this problem?

I recently upgraded to the latest BitTorrent (6.2 - build 15772) 2009 and I'm having the same issues stated in this forum. I work with computers and I can tell you off the bat; I do not have a virus and my system is 110% capable of running BitTorrent properly. Prior to the upgrade I had no problems. Here is what's going on:

When I install BitTorrent everything is fine, It installs itself into the directory [C:\Program Files (x86)\BitTorrent] and it auto launches. However it soon afterwards disappears from the program folder [C:\Program Files (x86)\BitTorrent ]and when I reset my computer properly the program completely removes itself from my machine.. forcing me to have to reinstall as opposed to launching a shortcut. I did not have this problem with the previous version. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 months later...

I checked but did not see a response/solution to this.

I'm running windows 7 64bit, RC.

I was also using microsoft security essentials. I say was, because after the 4th time I had to reinstall uTorrent, I removed it.

MS was a bit touchy about what other software was installed on the computer. It detected and removed home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/ as an unidentified trojan.

It also removed another password reset tool as an unknown virus www.piotrbania.com/all/kon-boot

It has only been 12 hours since I removed MS security essentials and went back to AVG. I will let you all know.

Out of curiosity, how many others with disappearing uTorrent have MS essentials?

• 10 months later...
There are two utorrent.exe files.
No one needs to fabricate your perspective -- it's quite clear what your perspective is. You THINK there are two executables for µTorrent; there is NOT. There is one, and ONLY one executable. The executable you download from utorrent.com is the same exact executable that gets copied/moved to the "installed" location. If you need any proof, check the "installer's" hash and check the "installation exe's" hash. It's the same. The only thing µTorrent does is move itself to the new location. When µTorrent autoupdates, it calls the updated executable with a special commandline parameter saying "copy yourself to this location and replace the existing file" (which should be the currently-running executable's current location).

WHY the autoupdate is causing you problems is a different question that I've no answer to, simply because I've never seen the behavior, no matter what I've tried to reproduce it.

I found two instances of µTorrent in add/remove and uninstalled. I don't remember exactly but, at that time, both may, or may not have been removed. However, I'm getting the same problem where µTorrent disappears from my start menu, my quick launch, my desktop and my add/remove. I'll try to track down when it actually disappears, but it does.

XP w/SP3, Avira, SuperAntispyware and Malware Bytes.

Archived