1.7.2 - Unbanning peers when no banned unbans your IP

Terryj

It seems as though by (hidden) default your own IP address is 'banned' in each torrent (presumably so you're not polling yourself all the time), however, if you unban a torrent that has no banned peers 1.7.2 unbans your IP giving rise to firewall warnings - the unbanning of your own IP shows up in the logs. This does not seem to happen if there are banned peers for a particular torrent. I never noticed this on previous versions. Running XP.

TerryJ

• 2 weeks later...

If µTorrent is firewalled, you may never see an ip blocked by µTorrent in the LOGGER window because it never tries ips found in the ipfilter.dat list.

...well, it shouldn't and hasn't from what I've seen.

If you've seen otherwise, then maybe it's a bug -- but it's a very obscure one that's hard to reproduce.

Note that the last ip in the ipfilter.dat list MUST include an ENTER (carriage return) on it or it gets ignored.

• 3 weeks later...

So nobody has been able to explain why, when opening uTorrent I start to get "Single scan from a remote host detected: TCP 192.168.0.3:29403, Registered packet....." [my LAN IP address] error messages from my firewall and my IP address is blocked - I repeat, this is only after uTorrent is opened up - I can spend hours without uTorrent running without these errors. I think the whole lot is tied up and broken - this probably ties up with the original message of this thread. Who can give a reason as to why my own machine is scanning itself- only when uTorrent is running?

Terryj

Allow what? my IP address? The fact that my work involves connecting to 1xA class, 3xB class and a handfull of C class domains all with dynamic IP's I'd be spending more of my time tracking IP addresses to try and stop a broken piece of software than I would getting on with my work. Don't worry, I'll go back to Azureus untill something is done about it rather than chat to people who are trying to defend broken software rather than trying to explain WHY these things are happening on a new release.

• 1 month later...

Turning off UPnP mapping stops the warnings - thanks for all your help!! Funny UPnP mapping didn't give errors on earlier revisions.

Try reading the latest UK Computer Shopper if you don't know about class A/B/C IP structures/domains (unless they've published a 10 year old reprint!!)

Archived