Peer's download speed

CK

I've done a search but couldn't really find any explanation into this problem but....

Okay I'm downloading a file right now and I'm getting a whopping speed of 2.3kb/s and an upload of well of 0kb/s (max set at 20kb/s)!

But on the Peers tab it says that two (out of three) other people are downloading the same file and using Azereus but they are getting 30-40kb/s, why is this happening?

I'm able to get 150kb/s on a torrent like Openoffice.org Beta 2 but on this one it's really slow, is this a fault on my end? Anyone else notice this? Am I missing something? *help*!

If you are getting reasonable speeds on a benchmark torrent such as Openoffice there is nothing more you can do on your side.

With such a small swarm you can't expect much. Maybe those peers are downloading a lot of torrents with high number of upload slots. That leaves you (and anybody else that connects to them) with crappy download speeds. The true advantage of larger swarms is that the probability of getting connected to someone with correct and balanced settings increases. It's not really about connecting to more peers but having the choice to connect to better peers.

And finally it's just an estimate anyhow, it could be wrong.

If you are getting reasonable speeds on a benchmark torrent such as Openoffice there is nothing more you can do on your side.

With such a small swarm you can't expect much. Maybe those peers are downloading a lot of torrents with high number of upload slots. That leaves you (and anybody else that connects to them) with crappy download speeds. The true advantage of larger swarms is that the probability of getting connected to someone with correct and balanced settings increases. It's not really about connecting to more peers but having the choice to connect to better peers.

And finally it's just an estimate anyhow, it could be wrong.

This is a good example of keeping your upload slots down to a reasonable level. Better to send to 1 or 2 peers at a time with good throughput than to send to 20 or 30 peers at a time, all with crappy throughput.

Less chance of being snubbed that way too.

-- Smoovious

Archived