Seeding in invisible mode

prosv

1. Is it possible for a seeder to be invisible to some peers and seed?

2. Is it possible to have selective seeding?

I have observed a peer with 0.1% seeding. He is not availing any upload from me. But his ratio is slowly increasing and continues seeding to me where as I am at 90%. My doubt is from which source he is getting the seeding to him. There is only one peer seeding me. There is nobody else seen in the detailed information window.

Am I to avail this seeding or abort?

I am interested to know about this selective seeding. The reason quite clear. After finishing the download the uploading will continue. But peers who have already complted 90% or more will be unable to download while others with 0% and around will be availing the upload with maximum bandwidth. I would like to help the person nearing 100% with selective seeding.

If the solution is already in the forum topics, somebody pl give the link.

That peer could in fact be a seed in initial seeding mode. It doesn't show that it HAS all the torrent in order to "trick" other BitTorrent clients into only downloading the most rare pieces of the torrent. (rare = only the initial seeder and maybe 1 other peer or seed has them)

1. Yes.*

2. Yes.*

(* Create a blocklist in PeerGuardian or similar, and manually enter the IP addresses of peers you don't want to trade with into the list. I do it all the time to kill leeches.)

My doubt is from which source he is getting the seeding to him. There is only one peer seeding me. There is nobody else seen in the detailed information window.

If you are not port-forwarded, you won't see everybody in the swarm -- that is normal. It's why your seeds and peers columns usually look something like "3(5) 12(19)", representing the total in the swarm as opposed to those you can actually connect to.

Another possibility is that the .torrent file you downloaded from site X is absent some of the trackers possessed by other peers with more comprehensive .torrent files downloaded from site Y. A common example would be a Demonoid torrent unloaded to Torrentbox, which munges the file to include torrentbox trackers.

Archived