Limited Connection Issue

someguy

Not sure if this is the right place but ...

Over the past few Months I have noticed odd behaviour of uTorrent.

I believe the issue lies with the combination of tracker and those in the swarm.

What happens? Well its simple really as the network I have here at home is very secure as it not only has an firewall (Hardware) but the machine running uTorrent has a Firewall (Software) and both are configured to allow uTorrent access whilst stopping unauthorised access to the network and the PC.

The problem has got so bad over the last 8 days that I have stopped using uTorrent which is being used as a DOS tool.

I'M sat at my PC working away and browsing the internet and next thing I know no pages display in the browser then the warning bubble pops up telling me that I have limited connectivity and checking ipconfig see a private address range in the 169.*.*.* range has been set and the PC grinds to a halt.

I have to reboot the PC, the router and the firewall as these fail in sequence, the PC first then the warning light on the router flashes up and then the firewall resets.

I corrected the problem in the hardware and then the issue only remained on the PC, to correct this I set the IP address manually, and the problem stopped but noticed that another issue occurred with the PC slowing down to something that matched my old P133 machine! one indicator was the increased fan speed, on my PC fan speed is relative to work load or demand, so when IM doing nothing and the fan speed is high, I know something is up.

As this only happens when running uTorrent, it isn't hard to work out the culprit. build version 1.6 (474) is what I have been using, anyone who uses this version experiencing computer issues, update as it is clear that this version has a bug which is being exploited by a minority.

I would like to suggest that version numbers are not sent out to connections because this makes exploitation easier, this should be something internal to the protocol and not for prying eyes.

Thank you.

SomeGuy.

Bad settings for µTorrent, at least under the advanced section can crash otherwise stable computers. Bad settings on an already unstable computer...well Microsoft has been plumbing those depths for years. :lol:

What's the measured speed of your connection, both Down AND UP?

What settings are you using, as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G)?

Have you changed any of µTorrent's advanced settings?

Have you tried the troubleshooting guide?:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

Lastly, can you post a HijackThis! log file showing what's actually being loaded/running on your computer that's having problems?

Archived