uTorrent causing mIRC / Trillian to crash...

Seiphas

I have a problem with uTorrent on my network (specifically my computer). It seems that whenever it is running, mIRC / Trillian will begin to disconnect / reconnect and die, and I end up disconnecting about every 10 minutes.

Across my network, I have 2 other servers running Torrent programs, one running TorrentVolve (Azureus powered) and another running Azureus. When both are downloading, even with a few billion connections, it has no effect on my computer. However, whenever I open uTorrent, I get the above problem.

My router is a Linksys WRT54GX2, which doesn't appear to be on a list of bad routers. I'm 99% sure that my ports are forwarded correctly. Any ideas as to what is causing mIRC / MSN to crash?

Note: uTorrent itself runs fine.

(comp specs)

P4 @ 2.66

1gb RAM

Windows XP

No AV/FW. It's unnecessary here.

That's the thing. I can browse the web perfectly, and I can do just about everything else perfectly as well. It's just mIRC/MSN that crashes.

My line is 5MBit/.8MBit. I'd get you realistic speeds, but I can't right now, as that would involve shutting off my servers. Anyways, speeds are usually about 4/700 on average.

uTorrent Speed Guide Info:

Upload Limit: 10KBps (I run servers that upload, so I have to cap this. Don't think I'm evil :()

Connections: 10

Max Active Torrents: 8

Upload Slots: 4

Connections (global): 100

Max active downloads: 5

Current Port: 6111

I don't know if TCPIP is patched, and I can't say why. Let's just say that I don't know because my answer would be against the rules. How do I check if it's patched?

I don't think I've fiddled with any advanced options.

Yup, that's evil.

8 torrents trying to maintain 4 upload slots each is 32 total upload slots potentially.

Dividing your 10 KiloBYTES/sec upload speed 32 ways means you're not even willing to give 1/3 KiloBYTE/sec per person that you upload to.

Setting upload speed that low PER upload slot can cause TCP issues...

Have you tried Ultima's Troubleshooting Guide?:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

Archived