My Problem With Utorrent

xdewaynex

since this past summer, utorrent has been acting up w/ my connections. i use to constantly get the green light and everything was good to go until the summer. now im getting the yellow light and then red. ive set my static ip, forwarded ports to use for utorrent. i went through it all again and wrote down everything i entered. ive read and down port forwarding several times and still cant get it going right. i use a couple trackers that you have to keep a good ratio and i cant since i cant get the green light to be connected. if someone can help me out, id greatly appreciate it.

Router Config:

local ip: 192.xxx.x.1

subnet mask: 255.255.255.25

start ip: 192.xxx.x.xx0

local dhcp enabled

number of address: 50

dhcp address range: 192.xxx.x.xx0 - 192.xxx.x.xx9

port range Utor1

start: 32459 end: 32459

protocol: both

ip: 192.xxx.x.xx1 enabled

Wireless Connection Properties:

ip: 192.xxx.x.xx1

subnet: 255.255.255.0

default gateway: 192.xxx.x.1

prefered dns: 24.94.163.100

alternate dns: 24.94.163.101

Utorrent Properties:

port: 32459

enabled upnp port mapping

Uhm, if you manually forwarded the port why are you enabling upnp?

Can you verify this still happens from any torrent found @ the OOo distribution p2p site

Also have you checked port forwarding under Ctrl-G?

It is possible to start at wither end of your line to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem (ISP --> you, OR you --> ISP)... Various things in the middle are routers, modems, modems+routers, firewalls, hardware firewalls, software firewalls, software protection for internet connections, and a couple other things I'm too braindead to list now.

i turned the upnp off just recently. im not sure as to why i had it enabled. im d/l that openoffice.exe and my red light turned to yellow and ctrl-g port checker is telling me the port is opened. but when im d/l other files the port checker will sometimes say the port is closed. im not running a firewall at the moment, so im sure thats not a problem.

*edit*

now that the openoffice is done d/l i started up another d/l and the port checker is now saying the port is closed. i dont understand it.

If your status light turned green for ANY part of the OOO download, you don't have a problem with forwarding. period. The uT port checker isn't foolproof. It has been known to give out false-positives and not register when forwarding is done correctly.

While you were downloading the OOO file, did the light stay red?

In the properties for the router, are you forwarding the port TCP/UDP 32459 to YOUR internal IP address. Verify this by Start -> Run -> cmd [Enter] then typing "ipconfig"

Edit: According to FAQ Red icon indicates that it was unable to bind to the socket, meaning something else is using the port. Are you sure your local software firewall/windows firewall allows port 32459 AND that no other program is currently set to use that port?

... there is no reason to "mask" private ip addresses.

I asked if the forwarded port in the router is the same as your output for ipconfig. (Edit: actually "ipconfig /all" would show everything including your DNS) Pasted below for effect:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : socal.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : ONLY_IMPORTANT_MASKED_INFO
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
[b]IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.134[/b]
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.75.164.90
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 26, 2007 6:19:08 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 06, 2008 10:19:08 PM

The BOLD part above should match correspondingly within your router setup

Edit: stupid nested bbcode barf. Yes you want to make sure "IP Address" is put into the router for the specific port you are using.

ok here is what i get from the ipconfig/all. sorry if im not understanding a lot.

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Ativa Wireless G USB Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.94.163.100

Its fine, completely fine. OK. so for your router @ http://192.168.1.1, after you login, in the advanced area or whatever where you set "port forwarding" you made an entry and labelled it µTorrent (if possible) for port # 32459. You ticked the boxes for TCP and UDP and in the column for "where do i sent this data" you put in "192.168.1.101" ?

What make/model router are you using?

I don't know. It's a long day. However

It is possible the problem is with your settings not agreeing with your ISP's idea of what you should be doing with your connection. How many download/total torrents? How many peers per torrent and how many global? How many upload slots... I still say its possible another program is conflicting.

so do you think i should try some new ports? what would be a good range to try?

*edit @ 11:21pm:

ok so i went through everything and forwarded port 45000 and now im getting the green circle in utorrent while d/l the openoffice from the link you posted earlier for me to try. d/l the 107mb file right at 3min w/ roughly a 1mb d/l speed.

Archived