Fixes applied, torrents still slowing down, router to blame?

Tedris

Hey all, long time lurker first time poster here.

I have a Linksys WRT54G v. 6, with firmware v. 1.02.

I have applied everything talked about in the stickies, if you can point it out, I've probably done it. However, there are points where my torrents will hit zero on both upload and download. It doesn't always happen, but most of the time it requires a router release/renew.

Sometimes this process is as quick as a second, and sometimes it is as long as an hour. At first I thought being on Satellite might be to blame, but I've been to several sites that have satellite users confirming better luck than the average modem user.

Is it possible that my connection may be to blame? Or is it my router?

I'm all ears (or in this case, eyes).

Errm, I'm thinking you're lucky that you can forward ports at all.

As far as parts of stagnation in UP/DOWN, that's part of bittorrent I guess if peers don't want what you have and won't give what you want.

Can you try any of the torrents from http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ and verify that you get your supported line speeds?

As far as your network setup.. do you have a modem? or is your router connected directly to the line on your roof (is that how satellite works??)

Sorry I'm lucky enough to have always gotten some form of cable TV, so over-air is complete news to me.

I have a modem and a router. Believe me, it wasn't my choice to have satellite, but I still don't think that's the issue.

If that stagnation is the case, then I guess that might be the issue, but at the point when I get zero on upload/download, I also can't access the internet. This makes me believe the router is to blame, since I can usually restart it to fix the issue.

OK that's a logical course of action. If you notice that the router always hangs within XX time of a reset, or starting uTorrent, then it is possible the internal tables of peers are to blame. i'm not sure how to fix that but I know to prolong it you can turn off DHT or LPD and reduce the concurrent number of connections as well as total number of connections for your line.

Also have you checked the WRT54 sticky in the forum? I remember reading about a way for the broken routers to flush their tables regularly instead of requiring a reboot but I can't remember where that was.

I just updated the firmware to v1.02.2

While I'm not sure that will be the fix, it may help. I couldn't find anything about regular flushing, but I have turned off DHT and LPD as well as reducing concurrent connections and total connections.

I'd just like it if I could download a torrent without having to babysit my router.

Archived