speed issues

sponger246

Now that I have my port issue corrected, I need help tweaking my speed. I have seen all these post about downloading 500Kb/s or near there, but Im nowhere close to that mark.

I tried downloading OpenOffice and maxed at only 185Kb/s (max=only for a second) most other times I was somewhere between 132-58Kb/s.

My speed test are as follows

Washington DC

4886Kb/s down

359Kb/s up

Atlanta, GA

4852Kb/s down

364Kb/s up

Jacksonville, FL

4915Kb/s down

353Kb/s up

Is it possible to get that kind of speed from my connection?

thanks in advance.

If openoffice doesn't hit near the expected max of ~ 600 KiBps, it is probably your ISP shaping your bittorrent traffic.

If you can direct download (HTTP) files at that speed, then it is confirmed. It is possible they do not shape during off hours or evenings / weekends.

60-120 KiBps is .5 - 1 Mbit down, so it could be better. What are your connection settings (Ctrl-G)? A picture would be easiest if you want a critique. I would try, changing to 20 per torrent and 60 global especially if you are set xx/256. With that kind of setup I'd make it possible to use a total of 9 slots divided however you want among active torrents and upload slots.

Overall I'd say your limit now is based upon what kind of bandwidth your ISP will give you. Like expressed elsewhere, limiting peer connections and other extra features may indeed get you to not suffer auto-shaping.. but it's reliant on searching for other users' success on your ISP and trial-and-error.

Does that help?

Ok, well I thought my port issues were done with but when I shutdown uTorrent or restart my computer everything goes crazy again. If I shut everything down (computer, modem, router) and restart everything then Im fine, but like I said everything is crazy now.

With all that being said, here are my settings. You can take a look but it probably wont do me too much good with a red status symbol.

screenof7.th.jpg

Well, ok then... if you're behind a router http://www.portforward.com/guides.htm has an extensive list.

Please make sure under "Port Forwarding" or "Virtual Server" the trigger / incoming port matches Ctrl-G AND that the destination IP address matches your LAN IP Address (obtained from Start -> Run -> cmd -> ipconfig).

I'm sorry to tell you, but if the icon is red, your port settings most likely didn't take. OR you have some other software interfering with internet traffic.

Do you also have UPnP enabled in µTorrent?

It shouldn't be needed on your router or µTorrent if you did manual port forwarding.

...But if it was enabled, the old UPnP entry may be locking µTorrent's listening port when you reboot your computer...not accepting that your computer is the same source that was using that port before reboot.

...just another guess! :P

Archived