Reinstalled vista now won't download

ck2

I recently reinstalled vista because it was running kinda slow( utorrent was working fine). After the reinstall utorrent would not download at all. I tried various other torrent programs and reinstalling vista again, same results with all other programs. I made sure that the programs were not blocked by my firewall. Also whenever I have any torrent program open my internet browsers will not connect to any web pages. I am using windows vista premium, on a dell e521 with 1 gb ram. I pulled my old computer out of the closet and hooked it up to the modem and utorrent worked fine. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Your ISP links your internet connection to the old computer. If you only use one computer to connect to your line without a router, you need to call them and let them know. To be prepared, you should go to Start->Run->cmd-> ipconfig /all

They will want the "Physical Address" or "MAC address". It is a string of six hexidecimal characters. xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

Afterwards, you should be working just fine on the new computer compared to the old computer.

It would be wise to stay on the phone while they make this change and immediately test their "registration" with the new MAC by downloading http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ If you don't immediately see speeds comparable to on your old computer, you may want to ask for another technician and explain the problem again, whereby you don't get the same speeds you do on your new computer as you did with the old computer.

Hopefully they won't give you the run-around :) Feel free to report back if it works or if you need more help.

This is the first time Ive ever had the old computer (thats working) hooked up at this location. I havent used it for about 6 months and I just plugged it in turned it on and it began downloading perfectly. The new computer (not working) was working fine on this connection for months until a few days ago when I re-installed vista. So it shouldnt be a problem with my service provider, should it?

Ahh, in that case... you would be correct and you should go through Ultima's How-To and search for the specific parts related to Vista. It is likely you modified it before, but for about it when re-installing. If you re-installed it from vendor media, it is also probable they included other programs which may have a hidden "firewall feature"... heh, I love windows except when it doesn't work like I tell it to.

Archived