I am confused about initial seeding

Dreadkillz

It says that its an efficient method to seed when I am the only one who has a complete copy in the swarm. However, is it not true that when I am seeding that I cannot see other seeders because seeders do not connect to each other? Like for example, I download a torrent that initially has five seeders then I become a seeder myself. Assuming that the other five seeders now leave and I am now the sole seeder, will I know that the other seeders left or not? If so, should I enable initial seeding?

Initial seeding masks you as a regular peer who starts out with 0.0% of the file. Each time someone requests a piece, you send it to them and only them, and you only send one piece out per slot per peer at a time. You wait to send another piece to that peer until you get a HAVE message for THAT specific piece from ANOTHER peer.

As far as connecting to seeds, you know you have 100% and when seeds connect to you there will be a message (you may have to turn on verbose logging to see it) that goes something like "connected, handshake, disconnected, is seed).

You also will see this behaviour in the Peers tab if you are normal seeding, and you see a peer with 0.0% connect then immediately disconnect.

Initial seeding's primary goal is to keep limited upload connections uploading efficiently to create the next seeder(s) of a swarm. For a more technical explanation you can go to http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification and search for "super-seed"... Did that make the feature clearer? (Also, have you checked out Ultima's µManual linked below)

Archived