Green tick but ports not forwarded properly according to speed guide.

drunkendori

I'm running on a 1000kbps internet connection and am only getting download speed of up to 80kb/s even on torrents with 10000 seeds and 8000 torrents. Everything looks fine on the utorrent program. I have the green tick and my torrents are at blue status but the speed guide tells me that my port is not forwarded.

There is this weird thing tho. I forwarded my current Utorrent port 56946 and tested it with www.whatsmyip.org and it says its open. I did a test and forwarded port 51122 and it timed out. I'm rather frustrated as I could not isolate the problem.

Is there any way I can further troubleshoot this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Any chance you're confusing KiloBYTES/sec download/upload speeds with internet connection's bandwidth in kilobits/sec?

There still may be a connection speed issue, but it's probably not really bad.

A router isn't the only thing that can firewall you, do you also happen to have a software firewall? (...Such as one in antivirus/antispyware software...calling itself 'internet security options'.)

I'm pretty sure I got the Kilobytes thingie right. I followed the guide and used the google calculator to derive my settings. The only firewall I have running is windows firewall which I have created the exception for utorrent.

My antivirus/spyware programmes are Avast antivirus and ad-watch 2007. I've read that ad-watch does not conflict with utorrent and thats why I use it.

Any other ideas?

A static IP is not a must for running uTorrent. If the Speed Guide's telling you that your port is not forwarded, then something must be up, though it's funny you get the green network status icon nevertheless.

You can also test your ports here - https://www.dyndns.com/support/tools/openport.html

Are you sure your ISP is not hostile to BitTorrent?

Can you try the Openoffice torrents and see what the result is?

As a matter of fact Switeck, I'm getting 180kb/s as of now for one of my torrents with 327 seeds and 2392 Peers. Connected to 9 and 57 respectively.

ajones81, results are positive from the site that you recommended. Does that mean that the utorrent port checker is faulty then?

I understand that Maxonline is hostile under the list of bad ISP's because its a Tier 1 network. I'm not really very savvy and don't know how bad it is tho. Is it that serious?

It's serious enough that I consider blocking Maxonline ips because I can't UPLOAD to them for more than a few seconds before they disconnect...and they seldom if ever download from me over 5 KiloBYTES/sec. I'm on ComCast Cable in the USA, but I seriously doubt ComCast is singling that ISP out...and it's more likely on Maxonline's end.

Archived