I always have the yellow or red icon,but yet i connect,why?

gypsyroads

Yes,I know this Switeck.,now :P

I can get better speeds up and down,when i manually set each torrent,as you said ,to match my connection.

Sometimes "going against the rules" does wonders.

I hope you dont think I try to throttle my seeding,

In fact my ratio is prob close to 4/3. atm 2.1GBs down, 1.0 GBs up

Those numbers may not matter if you're only uploading at <0.5 KiloBYTES/sec per upload slot due to allowing too many torrents and too many upload slots per torrent at once.

Until peers get complete pieces (which may be as large as 4 MB for giant torrents), they have nothing to share. So uploading 90% of a piece to 50 different peers is far less useful than full pieces to just 25 peers. You'll need to seed less long too if you care about the torrent swarm sustaining itself after you leave.

Also, if you're uploading really slowly to peers, they're LESS likely to upload back to you!

Anything below 1 KiloBYTE/sec to them and they're likely to ignore your upload to them and instead upload to someone else. This is why a balance between enough upload slots (to get multiple peers uploading to you) and decent upload speed PER upload slot is so CRITICAL!

Please keep upload slots per torrent less than 6 unless you're just running 1 torrent.

It helps the other peers more that way. :)

My ratio is about 25 up:1 down, but that's because I don't download much and upload almost all the time.

To answer an earlier question:

You can download a torrent you're not uploading because seeds and peers many upload to anyone on the torrent they connect to. AND because the BitTorrent protocol specifies that new peers are to be given something so they HAVE something to upload to others. Even after they've been connected for awhile, you can continue downloading from random peers and seeds due to THEIR optimistic unchoke upload slot...it's just random when you get it and usually doesn't upload to you for long per peer/seed.

Archived