I always have the yellow or red icon,but yet i connect,why?

gypsyroads

at the bottom the icon has never been green,its always yellow,or red.

even sometimes the arrow next to the torrent will even turn red

thing is,on decent torrents ,i get 100-150 kb/s and ive seen 215 kb/s.

but also i have some torrents with a huge seed list,that fail to download more then10 kb/s.

i did various speed tests,

im running win xp, laptop with att broadband card seirra (3g)

Download: 1518 (Kbps)

Upload: 351 (Kbps)

any ideas on how i where i should put the settings?

Ive read all the forums on this for months now, never really found anything that relates to my issues.

i have firewalls set to allow access, have UPnP clicked,have everything clicked.

i cant seem to get the settings right,

i have a red light and adveraging 85kb/s down 35 kb/s up right now.

Have you gone through Ultima's How-To for Troubleshooting?

To understand the reason you can connect to people when firewalled perhaps http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html can help?

When firewalled it essentially means you will hammer unfirewalled peers for data since two firewalled peers cannot connect to eachother (they don't allow incoming connections). As far as your speed test settings, have you entered xx/256 under the Speed Guide (Ctrl-G).

After setting up your port forwarding / virtual server settings according to the helpful guides at http://portforward.com/guides.htm you should then be able to verify you can receive incoming connections.

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ or http://www.slackware.com/torrents/ will tell you if you can reach your theoretical maximums from your ISP for bittorrent traffic (That is ~ 180 KiBps down and 43 KiBps up).

Feel free to report back progress on your problem and steps you have taken in the meantime below :D

in regards to your help,thank you btw for your reply.

ive read the links you posted,

infact ive been reading them for over 5 months now,and still can not find any help with my connection, (wireless broadband card, at-&-t)

I went through the guides once again,to see if i missed anything.

I have now, completely disabled my internal firewall(windows) as well as the software one(nortans)

rebooted, and utorrent is running with a yellow icon, with an adverage of 35 kb/s up and down.

im seeding 5 and downloading 2 others.

so obviously,my firewalls are off and not blocking utorrent. turning them off changed nothing.

Im i right to assume that turning firewalls off, and still having connection issues means its not related to the firewalls?

I can now only assume, that my IP is blocking utorrent. and i have to find a port that will allow full connection.

If i am wrong, please post what else i can try.

thank you.

If by wireless card means you are connecting to a wireless broadband network I would be skeptical that you are receiving a real IP address. If you go to http://portforward.com/guides.htm or http://www.canyouseeme.org do you have a WAN ip address? It is possible you CANNOT forward your ports while on said wireless network :/ but the best thing to try would be to check your output you get from ipconfig /all, look for "IP Address" and replace the last number (i.e. 192.168.0.101 -> 192.168.0.1) with 1 and try to browse it in your browser. That would most likely be your router or POP with the internet and see if you can setup a forwarding for your port that way, or turn in UPnP (uT works with UPNP). It's a long shot, but the only other alternative I can see would be to use some sort of wired RJ45 connection :(

If your still in forum,is there anyway we can talk besides here? IM for example?

because im not sure if screenie'n my info (the tests you asked me to preform, ipconfig /all )

here ,is such a good idea.

I have a decient connection and hate not getting the full use from Utorrent (hence being a leacher)

I did this

replace the last number (i.e. 192.168.0.101 -> 192.168.0.1) with 1 and try to browse it in your browser.

and then it said "page cannot be displayed"

when i then used the ip without changing the last number,i got prompted for a admin pass,no clue to what that may be.

I am the admin but i don't have a pass set up.

does this help?

I just help out here, heh.

If you cannot connect to the router you are connecting to for internet to login to manually forward your port onto your IP your only backup is UPnP unless you are on apple hardware (in that case you use the equivalent NAT-PMP).

I do agree that going to YOUR "IP ADDRESS" via a browser and finding a login is a bit interesting. Perhaps that was an inadvertant attempt to connect to your router. Do you know what kind it is to try some default passwords?

Did the IP from those websites match the IP under your ipconfig output?

ok,

If you cannot connect to the router you are connecting to for internet to login to manually forward your port onto your IP your only backup is UPnP unless you are on apple hardware (in that case you use the equivalent NAT-PMP).

i can turn off UPnP, "changes nothing",in fact, i can even turn it off on firewall, with no affect in utorrent.

next question

I do agree that going to YOUR "IP ADDRESS" via a browser and finding a login is a bit interesting. Perhaps that was an inadvertant attempt to connect to your router. Do you know what kind it is to try some default passwords?

When i put my Ip into browser, i get a pop up . pic below

Also i have, at most gotten 40 kb/s up or down today until i started a certain torrent.( this torrent, within 5 min reached 100 kb/s and adveraged 98 kb/s

From this pic it shows seeds have lil affect on my #'s.

I am beginning to think that my IP blocks certain other IP's,

Something makes no sense, i never have a green icon, and my #'s never relate to settings,seeds, or type,size,trackers of torrent.

Like i said in my first post,i have yet to see any other topic relating to my issues.

z.jpg

x.jpg

Indeed, quite unique. If you go through Ultima's Troubleshooting How-To and run HiJackThis can you post it below? I find it very odd you'd have a HTTP daemon running on your computer without you knowing about it.

I still say the fact you're running on a cellular network is part of the problem though :/ That cannot be worked around.

HiJackThis is not for forwarding, it's a way to see if there are additional (mal/spy/ad ware) software you may or may not know you have installed on your system.

Removing these problem software may help you get to the point where you are nearing 150 KiBps down and 40 KiBps up, and at that point you'll definitely be nearing the MAXIMUM theoretical speed of your line. Your current experienced settings are ~ 75% maximum utilization so there's still hope to increase it.

Your current experienced settings are ~ 75% maximum utilization so there's still hope to increase it.

I can only get r 30kb/s up or down on 99% of the torrents i try to download.

that other 1% will top out my #'s

regardless of seeded,type,time of day ect.

and my icon stays yellow,and sometimes red.

Plus i downloaded a torrent from openoffice, it worked fine. 130 kb/s

I'm concluding that my IP in fact blockes other IPs, and i can not control that.

including Utorrent, to the extent that utorrent thinks its not connected.

Mind you, I really don't know a lot about computers, I am learning though.

Don't worry about being computer illiterate. Everyone starts somewhere :D! I meant 75% as far as uploading is concerned. You can't really control your download except to make sure you are uploading consistently to your full potential.

Can I ask when you are on a good swarm where you are connecting to people and uploading well (near your experienced high of 35 KiBps) is it a flat line under the Speed tab (scroll to 5 or 30 second intervals)?

I must go back to TheShad0w's tutorial on "why being firewalled is bad". IF you cannot accept incoming connections, it does NOT mean you cannot use uTorrent. It only means you won't be able to connect to other firewalled peers. You can download from, and upload to people who are UN-firewalled (or able to forward ports through their firewall).

You can't really control your download except to make sure you are uploading consistently to your full potential.

This is the part I didn't realize,until yesterday.

I admit that when i first started using Torrents,id set downloads to max,and uploads to 1 kb/s,set the speed to xx/2MBits.

Not because I didn't wish to share,I did this to attempt to max downloads.

now i set the uploads between 5-10 kb/s , and with 5 torrents running, i maxed 215 kb/s download and 50kb/s upload.and give all torrents 3 upload slots.

Mind you all this time i have a yellow icon.

The screenie below is set this way,except for the one im still downloading,its set to 30 kbs up with 4 upload slots.

Ive noticed if i turn off DHT,the icon turns green almost instantly,but the #'s don't improve.

And eventually it will go back yellow again,until, i tog DHT on and off again.

But even under green, the link still shows my port closed.

Since ive created this thread,i have downloaded 6 GBS of material.

Since i have rebooted Utorrent and computer a lot of times during this,

the total up and down utorrent shows isnt correct to show totals,but as of now my totals are 3.2 GBs down and 1.2 GBs up.

I really dont understand what a "good swarm" means, so i will post a screenie,

Thanks a lot for all your help, I have learned alot from this thread. :)

1-8.jpg

Yep that screenshot certainly shows your ability to connect to peers, and the speed graph shows you are generally getting 25 KiBps up. I don't know how DHT would affect it, and essentially if you have working trackers (which the picture shows) you don't need to enable it. If that makes it work better, try that. It seems you can't get > 5 peers per torrent connected, so to lower your max per torrent to 10 and global @ 50 if you run 5 total torrents under Ctrl-P -> Queueing it should make sure you're using the most of your upload for peer traffic and not other things like DHT and LPD and Resolve IPs.

I'm glad you understand better what's going on behind-the-scenes. Tip: Did you know you can see total bandwidth used by uT under Alt-H-S (Statistics) :)

I can get more then 5 peers connected.

atm, 11(14) seeded 43 (240) peers 40 kb/s down 25 kb/s up, global is set to 500 and 50 max per torrent,on the same one i was downloading before,all i did was stop and remove the ones i was just seeding on,i let them seed all day.

does lowering the global and lowering the max per torrent, increase speeds?

So a am behind a firewall and only downloading off ppl not behind firewall?

this is why i have yellow icon,

Well from my own testing, 100 peer connections amounts to 1 KiBps bandwidth usage. On a 30 KiBps up, that's 3% of total available bandwidth used for every 100 peers connected.

It doesn't "increase" speeds, rather it increases AVAILABLE bandwidth for sending peers data...which could be what you need to push that guy sending to you @ 20 KiBps to 100 KiBps (you increase your upload to him from 6 KiBps to 12 KiBps).

Regarding the icon, YES, when you are firewalled, you only UPLOAD TO and DOWNLOAD FROM unfirewalled peers.

That makes sense ( the lowering global) :)

I Just started a well seeded torrent,i will set it like you explained.

and see what happens.

I guess even though i have a yellow icon, i can still share and download,

I can get 200kb/s down and 50 up on my wireless connection with

tested..

Download: 1518 (Kbps)

Upload: 351 (Kbps)

Im i doing good,or can i improve more?

Given the conversion of 8 bits per 1 Byte (ISP speed vs. uT speed) you're doing quite well right now :/ The inability to map ports is not affecting you as long as you are on a large enough swarm with enough un-firewalled peers to UPLOAD to , and DOWNLOAD from .

Is there a way you can try getting off that cell card and use normal wifi or ethernet? Otherwise you're "stuck" with that, which doesn't seem to be slowing you down at least on the current torrents you're running.

I can sometimes connect to a wifi,i believe is coming from a business across the street.

when I used it before,its basiclly same.

I did notice, it was hit or miss...torrents or peer share programs,ect might work well with aircard ,might not with wifi or vice virca.

If i remember correctly, on any connection ive ever had, ive had the issue with the yellow icon.

2 different wireless cards (a t & t and verizon) and prob over 50 diff wi fi hotspots, i used to be a trucker.Never used land line.

I remember one truck stop wi fi, that completely blocked my torrents, but limewire woot :)

I hope I'm not becoming a bore, you have already helped me from the beginning, In my natural ways, I have continued this thread out of need to know everything, and also to help out,

My issues,like you first said,are unique, or are they?

ok, the torrent i had downloading stayed at around 50 down 20 up, and it has only 12(19) seeds

Off and on i been trying to get it since Oct.(i wish there was a total time spent active,in Utorrent)

ive started 1 new one

set speed to xx/2Mibs (left the bittorrent preset)

changed properties in torrents to 150/ down 10/ up with,4 slots.

result below,

a-1.jpg

Here is something new to add.

I started a new torrent,

How is it possable for me to download it when I'm not seeding to or from it?

and my others have actually gotten better.

b.jpg

You really shouldn't go much past xx/768 at most. you'd need to UPLOAD at 200KiBps according to uT to come close to reaching the specified cap of 2Mbit.

I think I can answer for others by saying it's not annoying to answer questions even if they are generally answered by the FAQ or the pre-made guides or stickies, as long as they are unique, and YES your setup of actually getting a cellular wireless network to work is unique in my experience.

Have you checked out Alt-H-S ;) It looks a bit nicer with some added fields in 1.8 but it stil shows some generally useful tidbits. I kinda forgot about said stats when I split my 1.7 production uT install up for 1.8 into 3 lines, but it still generally encompasses all data in/out through uT, which is nice.

I didn't read whole post but might be your Internet Service Provider has some of your ports limited (behind ISP firewall) Call them and tell them to open all ports etc and take your account off from firewall protected server. (I have thiskind but I don't see any problems using yellow / red icon thingy. Downloads anyway so who cares ;))

Jewel, If your saying that others on a t & t can not connect to utorrent ,Im thinking I either am just lucky or,my network config must be the reason.

I can open and edit the hardware (the icon in toolbar that shows the pc card,maybe thats something to consider.

It bugs me that when i try to browse my ip,i get a sign in box.though

I wish i knew the requiered fields.

i know how to open it in run,but i dont know how to edit it.

and i dont really know what it means.

You wouldn't know where i could find out how?

Also ,if I set the speed,using Utorrents presets,then change the settings in the torrent (right clicking them) that over rides the presets ,right?

so setting at xx/2Mibs then changing upload in torrent to ,say 10 kb/s ,what does this mean happens?

That is correct :) Each torrent and torrent job (listed in the torrent pane) takes its queue and connection settings from the Ctrl-P Preferences UNLESS overridden at the torrent level.

Say you have xx/2Mbit that means you are saying you can upload at 200 KiBps (which you can't), but that means uT will try to spread out that TOTAL 200 among ALL your ACTIVE torrents.

If you changed one torrent (right click, properties) to 10 UPLOAD, that means uT will force upload on that torrent to be @ 10 KiBps, or under.

Then using the presets for me is a waste of time, because i use the properties in the torrents.

If i have 3 torrents running,and have them all set to 25 kb/s changing preset to xx/100MBit will mean nothing.Because I manually set my upload limit to 75 kb/s Right?

Speed Guide settings change a LOT more than just upload speed!

While you may only be uploading at your specified amount after changing it, you'd certainly be better off running with upload slots, connections per torrent, global connections, total active torrents, and total downloading torrents...set to something that closer matches your connection.

Archived