How do I associate files on the hard drive with utorrent for seeding?

boudreaux

Yesterday (01/03) about 12 - 14 files were seeding when all of a sudden I got an error message associated with all but three that said the files couldn't be opened from their location. I had a big red X next to each of the files with the error message. I removed those files from the torrent window and have successfully downloaded a new file and it is now seeding normally. I still have all of the downloaded torrent files on my hard drive, so my question is how do I get those files back on to the utorrent window so they can start being recognized again for seeding? Thanks in advance!

If another filesharing program tries to auto-load torrents, or run them from a default location where you save your torrents... that should probably be changed.

If you are trying to auto-associate torrents to uT when you double-click them they open in uT the option under Ctrl-P Preferences will do the trick.

To re-add the previous torrents, you will need to go to File -> add (no default save) which will pop up the location dialog you should CLICK on the folder, or file you are trying to download. After that, when you start the torrent, it should start "checking 0.0%" to finish.. if it starts downloading, STOP, right click, and force-recheck .

Any other questions?

I'm not sure we're on the same sheet of music. I have a bunch of torrent files that were downloaded previously and are stored on my hard drive, then I had my problem yesterday. Now I want to make those files stored in a folder on my hard drive available for seeding. How do I get them back into the utorrent window so they can be available to others? They were there yesterday and I removed them when I got the error message - how do I put them back so they're available and can be uploaded?

Ahh! right, well you can put them all in the auto-load folder (found under Ctrl-P -> Other) and set the default save location (under Ctrl-P -> Downloads) to where you have those files' data saved ALREADY. Then you'd only need to press start (when uT sees the files as already existing it will start checking them one by 1) for them to go to downloading/seeding status.

As an alternative, You can click and drag the torrents themselves into the uT main GUI and set all of this manually (File -> open(no default save) -> set download path, add label, skip check, select/deselect all files -> then start from the main torrent window.

If you get a message "the torrent already appears to be active, would you like to add the trackers from the new torrent" perhaps you don't have the "ALL" category selected under the category pane (F7), if you press that and select all you may still see your old torrents in the window with the X and error message. Since you removed them before due to an error message perhaps you could read through Ultima's How-To guide on ways to diagnose which other software(s) are conflicting with uT's ability to save your torrent files' data to try and keep it from happening again.

Archived