speed troubles

crazyhorse

hi,

ive been having speed problems since i changed ISP's (tpg.com.au)

i have a green 'tick' icon but when i request to see if the port is forwarded properly the resulting message says it isnt open.

i havent had a problem portforwarding before and my ISP says it doesnt block or throttle traffic.

OOo is dl'ing better than others have at about 50% of my 160K bandwidth.

my biggest problem is uploads as i cant seem to up at all unless the torrent uses DHT

By "unless the torrent uses DHT" do you mean you cannot access trackers to announce / get peers? If you are seeing the "I" flag on peers under the "Peers" tab then the port tester is just mistaken thinking you are closed, I guess.

The problem with the OOo torrent is that it is well-seeded and well-homed on fast lines. Well that's both a positive and negative thing. It is difficult to seed to others on the swarm, but it does allow you to test the maximum sustained throughput your ISP allows you (which I would bet is quite limited especially internationally, since you're stuck in ozzieland). I have good news for you I think, by 2009 there will be another route between you and the rest of the world, either by Telstra + partners, or Google + partners, so I'd hold out hope you may indeed get better than your regular 65GB+65GB quota for LESS than $120 AUD :D

hm. come to think of it i havent seen tpgi there either. how do i go about asking them to help me?

naive it may sound but considering i asked them if they blocked any kind of traffic and they said 'no', then i think i should ask them for a more honest answer.

...and then churn somewhere else if they want to keep on blocking!

Well, what kind of error messages do you get under the tracker status field of the General tab? Also if you turn off DHT and Peer Exchange globally (under Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent) can you still connect to peers? I wouldn't fault the people you talked to at your ISP (if it was the first or second person) because tech support people regularly get hammered and rarely have the time or chance to shy away from their scripts and prompts. It also depends who and which department you called. If you somehow got to an engineer and asked specific questions I'm betting they won't give you a flat out denial but then again... the ISPs business is to keep consumers outta their affairs.

So I would suggest this.. since you already tried OOo with your DHT and PEX on, turn both off, and try starting it again and see what kind of behaviour you experience. I wouldn't run it long, as most ozzie ISPs like to charge you every KB they can towards your quota.

EDIT: WOO Well this person was able to forward their ports...

tpgicomauez2.th.png

i have been uploading but the speed sucks and not at all on private trackers.

thanks for your help so far and ill post again soon after i get some time to get some proper data together. well, better than what ive been posting anyway.

ive been trying other apps too. myDiskServer ive tried and AllPeers too, only the latter would work and it worked at high speeds for me. (all this and more junk is on another windows installation)

----

by 2009 there will be another route between you and the rest of the world, either by Telstra + partners, or Google + partners, so I'd hold out hope you may indeed get better than your regular 65GB+65GB quota for LESS than $120 AUD

we get ripped off for all sorts of comms. mobile phon calls are still expensive. although my ISP is what you would call 'cheap and nasty'! i can get 40+110Gb for $70 right now. the downside is that the shaping is 64k rather than 256k like on their higher plans (128k standard shaping on voip plans)

BigPond, our biggest telco, would probably be more than twice that and count uploads :/

----

update:

my biggest problem is uploads as i cant seem to up at all unless the torrent uses DHT

this is still happening. private trackers arent getting a thing from me.

my ports are forwarded properly, although the inbuilt 'test' sometimes gives an error (eg: "Unable to connect")

win2k and winxp are both affected. downloading seems to have become regular and ive read the FAQ's, used suggested settings, and upgraded to 1.7.7

thanks in advance

Archived