very low speed

snoophkin

Hi,

I'm using a 1.5 MB commection via cable, and using a 54MB/s linksys wireless router.

I followed the instruction on how to best set up my Utorrent after testing my connection speed, the router forwards a port, and the firewall does not interfere with Utorrent. still after all this my best download speed is 15Kb/s. what am i doing wrong??

please help, this is very frustrating..

If you are limited to 15 KiBps by your ISP's automated methods for traffic shaping that is unfortunate. Have you tried either of the test torrents mentioned in Ultima's How-To for troubleshooting? Their links are http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ and http://www.slackware.com/torrents/ and generally speaking, if your Speed Guide (Ctrl-G) is setup correctly from a speed test (xx = download, the 2nd number following '/' is your upload which is the most important) you will see your maximum sustained speeds available from your ISP.

i tried the openoffice file and it downloaded at an avrage of 45KB/s which is way better.

how come the rest of my downloads are so slow?

i just checked my connection and it peaked at 1.3 Mbit/s download and about 50 Kbit/s upload

how can i make my other files download as fast?

From a speedtest you mean? Well the difference between a speedtest and actual sustained bittorrent is that a speedtest is usually over HTTP. Many ISPs limit that very rarely, though it is becoming more common with streaming videos.

Your theoretical speed from your ISP (the line you pay for) is rarely hit especially on cable connections where everyone shares the same upload maximum in the vicinity. If you are only seeing 1 Mbit / 50 Kbit(Kbps) you need to change your Ctrl-G (Speed Guide) setting accordingly. Choosing the closest number wihout going over will help you keep things working well.

If OpenOffice, which is a well-seeded and well-configured swarm for checking your connection settings is only giving you 45 KiBps sustained I am more apt to believe you are being traffic shaped or can really only obtain .5Mbit downstream speeds.

The best way to make sure you are downloading as fast as possible is to 1) make sure you are not choking your connection with upload. This is most-easily obtained through correct Speed Guide usage. 2) Don't change the default settings without knowing what you're doing. Also it is important to know not all swarms are created equal, so you will see some variability.

Please report back after changing your settings and running a different swarm or the same torrent to see if it works better. You should take at least a 5 minute window to compare the Speed tab data. (changing the scale from 1 to 30 seconds allows you to see up to an hour of data)

Archived