I don't know computer lingo!

not so smart

I am so lost! I have this utorrent now and have no clue about anything! It is suppose to be user friendly but I think only if you understand the lingo! I don't get it seriously! I have found two things that I am trying to download and it is so slow the ETA says 1week!! This can't be! (all they are is 1 hour tv shows!) I have downloaded other things with other programs and it was a lot faster, 2 hour movies in like a day. And now I have a better system so I really expected the speed to improve! I am running brand new computer with Vista, but still learning about the Vista factors. I am on what is considered light high speed but I really don't know and can't figure out much more beyond that! Is there not a step by step guide to follow, like "utorrent for dummies." ? Seriously. I can't figure out ports, AT ALL, I did speed tests and it says, "ouch you must be using dial up" and gave me .5 out of 5 stars! OUCH! I don't have dial up but it really isn't that slow... I've seen dial up and this system waxes it! what am I doing wrong? Please, anyone...gotta be someone who can explain it to someone Not So Smart, like me!!

Thanks

Awwww, I understand everyone started somewhere. Have you checked out the Guides page (linked below)? You would want to start with the 2nd, move to the 3rd, and then download Ultima's µManual (1st link). The first link is the uTorrent user manual, including all the ins-and-outs of the main GUI. The second link is the "What is bittorrent" primer. The third is the "setting up your connection" guide, and should answer some of your questions. Also please note that you should be aware of at bare minimum what ISP modem you have and if you have a router, what make and model it is to use the portforward guides found @ http://portforward.com/guides.htm .

So your speed test that you did was it from the Speed Guide (Ctrl-G)? Did you save the picture of it, or could you run it again. Please be sure when you run it you aren't utilizing your line for anything else, no streaming video, no HTTP downloads, no FTP downloads, and of course close all your filesharing programs. :D

I am certain that there was nothing else running but I am going to check the links out. Grrr I am so frustrated!! I am pretty sure that I have a router, and when I went to one port thing my router never showed up on there, the make was there but not the type. Does that make sense? And I went to some site that ran the speed test and ran it again it gave me the same smart remark. Ok I will try this stuff out. Thanks for your advice!

*********me spending time trying this stuff out**********************

Ok so Speed Guide (Ctrl-G) did nothing. I assume I was to push those keys. Portforwarding found nothing for my router and I did find out that the tv shows I was trying download were illegal and that isn't what I was trying to do. I think I am going to delete this thing. I missed a two hour show of the start of law and order last week and that is all I wanted to do. Being a mom of 4 and very capable of missing shows I thought that this would be a neat way to stay caught up! But that is all I need is someone knocking on my door cause I illegally watched it!! Now it is 2am and the kids have school tomorrow and I am going to be in no mood to be happy mommy!! I just wish is really wasn't so hard! I have used other file sharing before and this is just too much! Thank you so much for everything!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived