Losing connection

oscar509

When uTorrent starts downloading/uploading internet connection via everything else (media player, browser, ping tool) is dropped but uTorrent keeps working.

I'm on vista x32 with AMD 64 dual core, on a wireless connection. My laptop is also on wireless but with XP and does not have this problem. I have a green check on both PCs and have my firewalls configured, ports forwarded for each and static IPs for both. Router is 2Wire.

Here is what I've tried...

- COMMON PROCEDURES THAT SHOULD BE FOLLOWED, REGARDLESS OF THE PROBLEM

- SLOW/INTERRUPTED INTERNET CONNECTION OR OFFLINE TRACKERS

- Thread about "AMD Athlon 64 X2" involving AMD X2 and XP systems.

The problem seems to fix itself after a while. But I don't like starting uTorrent b/c I know it will drop the connection.

- What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

Green light

- What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

Upload 85 / Connections 100 / Max Active Torrents 5

Up Slots 5 / Global 450 / Max Actibe D/L 4

- What you have net.max_halfopen set to (Preferences > Advanced in µTorrent)

- Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Vista Home Premium

- Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

Router firewall, Vista firewall, NOD32, Windows Defender, Spyware blaster, HOSTS file

- Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

2Wire 3800HGV-B Gateway

- ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

ATT uVerse

- Connection...

Cable / 2805 down - 810 up

- Basic computer hardware specifications (chipset, CPU, RAM, drive type, etc.)

AMD 64 Dual Core 4400+ 2.3ghz

2GB Ram

- Your list of running processes: will post later...

2wire models haven't gotten great praise on here, but you can try the limitations on settings suggested in the How-To post #2. It may be overloaded from connections or UPnP rules (If you dont manually forward your port). I know also you used the Ctrl-G setting for xx/768 as recommended, but it may also be those numbers are overloading the router. Have you tried limiting it to something drastically lower like 100 GLOBAL or less... Truthfully 20 connections per torrent can maximize any connection except maybe 100 Mbit synchronous so it's all just overhead IMO after that. If 100 causes the disconnects to stop happening perhaps you can slowly increase that number by 5% at a time to see after which number your router or your ISP stops being reliable. I mention ISP in there also because many automated countermeasures include disconnects based upon active connections (the tell-tale signs of filesharing).

Good idea :D Yea it's all about finding the point at which you notice bottlenecks. Note that IF you reduce your peer loads enough you can re-enable those additional options, as DHT is REALLY useful for trackers which are permanently offline. But the fact of the matter is, many consumer routers are prone to locking up with the constant persistent network activity bittorrent requires/provides. I'm glad you were able to get it to stop. Even I with limited settings see something like 3% interruption, which equates to like a dip every 10 minutes which lasts like 10 seconds.

Archived