Problems with speed and opening a port.

Sector

Hi everyone.

I have poor speed and I can't do anything aobut it.

I did speed test 100 times. All of them were diffrent and showed different results. I don't know what speed should I set.

I can't open a port. I used that link, but I can't do anything with it. http://www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Utor/Utorindex.htm

as you open it there coloms with (routers and firewalls. I've no idea what is firewall. So I don't know which one should I choose.

I choosed DSL once and was doing exsactly what it says, but I couldn't finish it. Because it recuired DNS and enterning IP in adress bar. I don't know where to get DNS and why can't I enter Ip, because the brouser shows - page not found.

Can anyone please help me...?!

Where can I find DNS?!

And I still can't understand what ip hould I use!?

because when I go to the link (I added it before) it shows one IP. And when I go to command pannel it shows other one..

=(

Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) I'm not sure, but that is what i"m probably using...

And I'm also interested about box"Utorrent's Port for incoming connections" at the same link....does it actuallu do something whrn you enter the port number?!

thank you.

uTorrent's incoming connections port is so others can connect to you. You send out your IP and PORT to the tracker so it can tell other peers on the swarms you are on "Hey, here's a new guy he's on IP:PORT and you can connect to him that way".

You can see an overview of your current windows networking settings by going to start->run->cmd -> ipconfig /all

It will show you a BIG list of information, if you are unsure still of what alot of it means, you can take a screenshot of it and upload somewhere. http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=297020#p297020 is a post I made recently to someone who wanted specific instructions on how to do so :D so I hope that helps.

Do you have any other questions?

Yes I have the same questions I asked before, because I didn't get any answers on them...

I still no idea where to get DNS.

I don't know what speed should I set.

I don't know why the "special window"doens't appear after I entered IP in address bar as the instructions said.

I did ipconfig, I wrote the data, I entered it in requered boxes - but nothing happens...!?

Please tell me what should I do. =((

I still no idea where to get DNS.

I don't know what speed should I set.

I'm not sure you read the guide I posted carefully, as it does describe clearly where you get your DNS server IP(s), and it does clearly tell you where/how you set the static IP stuff up.

Telling us "nothing happens" means nothing to us unless you tell us what you mean by "nothing."

ok. I'll try one more time!

mmm.

So you asked me before "What modem are you using? What router? If you're not sure, list the devices between your computer and the wall."

here is my answer - Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

does it say anything to you?!

I mean can I find it from list of routers and firewalls?!

And I still didn't get the link!

May I ask you just to check my steps and say me what I'm doing wrong!

I'll tape all of them in a few minutes.

1.I press cntr+G to open a window at UT.

2.I press "if port is forwarded propally" before that I've pressed radom port. and uncheck randomase ports.

3.a new window appears and it says : Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 33519 on 68.145.83.215...

Error! Port 33519 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

It also says something about (PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com) should be something done about that?!

5.I press the link - and a new window appear.

6.THere are 3 coloms with lot's of routers and firewalls as I understood.

7.right before it there is a small icon that says "Your external IP address is 68.145.83.215." should someting be done about that?!

8.So i don't know which one I shoul pick(from all this coloms) so I press on DSL link200e.

9. a new window appear: there is an explanation how to get IP and right before it there is a box where you should enter your port number?! should I do that?!

10. so I cklick on a link and a new window appear- statistick IP.

11. I have windows vista so I choose te 2nd link.

12.a new window appear with explanation.

13. So I did as it said - oppened a command icon- wrote Ip, mask, gateway (but NO DNS -because I still didn't get it). so then I enter my Ip and gateway to a special box where I get 5 static IP.

14. Then I enter everything into the TCP/IPv4 exsept DNS. and as soon as I close I atomaticly disconet from the Internet.

So here is where my problem is!

Any recomendations?!

p/s I also read a guide couple times, but still no results.

mmm. somewhere it says : enter your gateway number in address bar- so I did- but the window where yous should type(admin and a pasword doesn't appear)cause it says page not found....?!?!

THank you/..

Post a screenshot of the ipconfig output.

Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC is not a router.

If you're not sure, list the devices between your computer and the wall.

Look at the devices connected between your computer and the wall -- physically -- and tell us the models.

If you're not the network administrator, you most likely can't forward your port. You can try using UPnP in Preferences > Connection, but I doubt it'll work.

Other than running the Speed Guide properly, I don't think there is anything that can be done about your speeds :/

Archived