Please Help... I just don't understand!!!!

richard_boyes

BT HomeHub - Wireless Internet - 5 mb line - Comodo Firewall - UTorrent.

Hello Guys,

I brought myself a brand new Laptop the other week and managed to wireless on it yesterday. So i was told the best application at the moment to download stuff is utorrent, (on my last laptop i had Azureus)

The router that i am using is the BT HomeHub, and apparantly according to BT i have a line coming into my house that is just under 5mbs..

Now the problem i am having is the fact that i cant download anything fast, the fastest i am getting is in the mid 20's kbps, i have seen it go up to the 60's and 70's but not lasting very long..

Now due to this i have read through quite a lot of threads and changing things not only with utorrent but with my firewall which is Comodo, and it is still not producing anything!

I have been on Portforwarding.com to try and make a port but that hasn't worked.. and i am now getting the red ! at the bottom of my page..

It is really really confusing me and i don't know what to do now.. i tried setting up a port 13421 but everytime i go onto portforwarding it is telling me it aint working!! no such port!

So what i have done so far is trying to set up my Comodo firewall, which seems to be not working!

Changed settings on Utorrent - i could changed so much stuff on here i am probably just digging myself a bigger hole every time i touch it now - i have done speed tests and multiplied everything by 8 or divided some stuff by 4......

and finally

i have tried to open up a port which just hasn't happened!!

Can somebody help me out here,

Is there anyway i can just start right from the top again and just try and figure this out? Is it my firewall that needs changing? Do i even need to open up a port?

I dunno...

Any help is gratefully appreciated on this matter!!

Many thanks

UPDATE:

Tried to download the Open office thing and still no luck.

Tried turning off the firewall altogether and still got nothing.

Have done the IPConfig thing on cmd prompt but not sure where (if i need to) put this info.

Would post a screen shot but tried ALT + Print Screen and paste but won't work... if anyone can tell me how to post screen shot would be greatful, as maybe that info will help.

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

i'm having exactly the same problem, except i'm using a hard wired connection to the internet throught a standard USB ADSL modem.... think the port is open using the stuff below but speed test thing still says it isn't????

I did find one place on the forum that showed a possible setup for comodo v3 which i have used, but still only getting ... well not alot connection and still getting yellow triangle. tried downloading the openoffice torrent and this well didn't happen..... got nothing... setup is below....

Would be very interested to see what people say about this one. Have posted a couple times and han no replies which is rather disappointing...

Very Confused Thomas.

[RULE 1]

Action ............ : Allow

Protocol .......... : UDP

Direction ......... : Out

Description ....... : DNS Service

Source Address .... : Any

Destination Address : Any

Source Port ....... : Any

Destination Port .. : (A Single Port) 53

[RULE 2]

Description ....... : Multicast

Destination Address : (IP Range) 239.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255

Destination Port .. : (A Single Port) 6771

[RULE 3]

Direction ......... : In

Description ....... : Ephemeral Ports [iN] (UDP)

Destination Port .. : (A Port Range) 1024 - 5000

[RULE 4]

Protocol .......... : TCP or UDP

Description ....... : Ephemeral Ports [OUT] (TCP/UDP)

Source Port ....... : (A Port Range) 1024 - 5000

Destination Port .. : Any

[RULE 5]

Protocol .......... : TCP or UDP

Direction ......... : In

Description ....... : Port [YOUR PORT] [iN] (TCP/UDP)

Destination Port .. : (A Single Port) [YOUR PORT]

[RULE 6]

Description ....... : Port [YOUR PORT] [OUT] (UDP)

Source Port ....... : (A Single Port) [YOUR PORT]

Destination Port .. : Any

Where [YOUR PORT] is replaced with the port µTorrent listens on. These rules can be made global rules, but you're probably better off making them application-specific.

In COMODO Firewall Pro v2.x:

- Application-specific rules can be added via Security > Application Monitor

- Global rules can be added via Security > Network Monitor

In COMODO Firewall Pro v3.0:

- Application-specific rules can be added via Firewall > Advanced > Network Security Policy > Application Rules

- Global rules can be added via Firewall > Advanced > Network Security Policy > Global Rules

NOTES:

· I made a lot of rules, but that's because I was trying to make the rules as tight as I could.

· The Multicast rule can probably be tightened down considerably for the Destination Address, but I wasn't entirely sure how specific I could make the rule without breaking µTorrent's multicast, so I left it with such a large range. If I'm not mistaken, the one single IP µTorrent used for LPD was 239.192.152.143, but again, I'm not sure if limiting the rule to that single IP would cause any misbehaviors. Adjust the rule if you really want to, but I don't think it's really necessary, since the range is .

· If you're using an alternative listening port for any reason, then you're going to need to create a copy of rule 5 for that port (though you probably won't need the UDP part of that rule -- I say probably because I haven't tested it).

· I don't use Defense+ in COMODO Firewall Pro v3.0, so I'm not sure how one might configure it (if it is at all necessary to be configured, that is). At least one user has had to configure some setting in Defense+ to make COMODO work properly with µTorrent -- see the relevant thread here.

Thread hijacking is not nice. http://forum.utorrent.com/search.php?action=show_user&user_id=81364 shows you multi-posted this anyways.

Richard_boyes:

You can uninstall comodo to see if your setup even works without adding a software firewall into the mix. Routers act as hardware firewalls, which is plenty protection in their default block-all state. If your router allows you to forward ports, then make sure you are going to the right IP (start->run->cmd->ipconfig /all)... If you want recommendations, pictures of your relevant options pages may help. Were the pictures @ http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/BTHomeHub/Utorrent.htm not relevant?

Archived