Can't Forward My Ports!

natman777

I have tried about every guide out there to get my ports open, but still can't get them open!

I have a Linksys WRT54G v.6 wireless router.

Windows Vista

Utorrent v1.7.5

I have set up a static ip by going to the connection properties and typing in the info manually.

I have used the port forwarding guide and followed it correctly, but still no connection!

I am tired of trying to get Port Forwarding to work for over 2 months!

If anyone here has an answer to my problem please reply.

Thanks

Have you read the information from the FAQ relevant http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G_GL_GS_routers ? More information is needed. What specifically about the forwarding won't allow it to work? Have you also double-checked the forwarding status via a secondary site such as http://www.canyouseeme.org ?

Generally speaking when you have port forwarding setup on YOUR PORT (Ctrl-G settings) to YOUR IP (start->run->cmd->ipconfig output) it will work. It is in the cases where it doesn't where software incompatibility is usually the cause.

I have read that FAQ and it said "The following note does NOT apply to WRT54G/GS v5 and up! Use the latest official firmware (1.00.9+) with those, they do not suffer from this specific problem (though they do suffer from different problems)." And yes I am talking about the port in the Ctrl + G Settings. And when i try a "port checker" site it says that the port status is "connection timed out". I tried typing ipconfig output and got an invalid command error.

Sounds like it's not forwarded through all your networking hardware. If your setup indeed looks like: ISP -> modem -> router -> computers it may be your modem also includes router functionality including a firewall which may need to be turned off (put it into "bridge mode") or forwarded to your own router (using the ports you use).

I don't know how to change the settings of my modem. I have tried typing in the defualt gateway and it takes me to the modem page but i cant find any type of firewall settings.

EDIT: I figured out how to acsess my modem settings but for some reason it wont let me see the buttons on the side!

EDIT: I got It to show the buttons I just have to get the modem configured

I got it working! I just checked my port with the utorrent port checker and it said "OK! Port 49454 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections."

And I have a green icon!

Thanks so much!

For those having problems similar to mine go to your modem settings and look for a port forwarding section and forward your ports there also.

Thanks again for all your help. I have been working on trying to get this to work for over 3 months!

I have not follow everything here but I am in a similar position I think.

I have a Sagem modem with Tiscali and Windows XP.

Althought I installed utorrent correctly and started to put some files to download I cannot get anything started.

When I test the port it says the port is not open.

Anything you think I should check?

To forward the port from the modem? I don't know where to find to forward the port.

Hi,

I have the same WRT54G router and pretty much the same problem. It's good to see somebody has gotten a solution. Jewelisheaven, lf you've got a minute to give me a hand I'll be much obliged.

I'm using DSL ---> 2wire modem ---> WRT54G router --> desktop PC.

I have my modem set as connection type PPPoE, Bridge LLC (as opposed to router). My modem's IP is 189.181.76.213. In the home network tab of my modem, my router is listed with IP 192.168.1.64, address alocation DHCP. In the firewall tab I've got a couple of different ports set up to be let through. I've also tried it using DMZ.

In my router, under the Status tab where it describes my Internet Connection, it says my configuration type is Automatic DHCP. Below that is says the IP is 192.168.1.64. Under the Setup tab of the router, I've got the Local IP Address as 192.168.2.1. I've found that if I use 192.168.1.1 the router can't communicate with the modem. (I wonder whether this has something to do with my problem.) DHCP is turned on, starting at 192.168.2.100.

I have my PC set up with a static IP, 192.168.2.99. I've also tried using and IP within the DHCP range. In the router under the games section, I've forewarded the same two ports as in the modem.

When I check to see if the ports are open at http://www.canyouseeme.org/, it says my IP is 189.181.76.213 (the modem) and says connection refused.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

You know that's the most descriptive report on a 2Wire I've seen :) Generally speaking they have intermittent problems. But if you KNOW you forwarded TCP (at minimum) from your router @ .1 to your computer @ .99 in the WRT, then there's a problem with your modem's "Bridge Mode" I fear :( I have NO idea how to remedy it looking through the portforward pictures, it seems pretty straight-forward though.

Archived