Just wondering.

Kineada

I'm curious as to just exactly how fast I should be downloading. I've run the speed tests and my connection averages at about 450kbps down and my upload speed at about 128kbps. Odd thing is though, I can download through my browser at around 600-700kbps. Now I know that the files I get online don't have to be seeded and can't get leeched and they're just "there for the taking", but most of the time while torrenting there are more seeders there then I connect to, and my downloads seem to peak out at about 130kbps. I have already optimized my TCPIP settings, forwarded the proper port outside of the default range and increased my maximum number of half open's, so I was wondering if I should be downloading faster than this on U torrent? Kind of new to this so I just need a bit of help. Thanks.

Speed tests report in Kbps and all programs and windows (that I know of) use KiBps... you are misunderstanding the units difference. There are 8 bits in 1 Byte, so 128 Kbps upload amounts fo 16 KiBps theoretical maximum of which you may be able to eek 13 sustained by turning off most of the extra features from within uT.

One reason you may not download torrents as fast as say a HTTP or FTP download is due to an ISP mechanic known as traffic shaping. To verify you can indeed download torrents at your rated line speed try any of the ones mentioned in Ultima's How-To for Troubleshooting.

Archived