Asu

Kv

I was just wondering is anyone else went to ASU(Arizona State University) and was using a bittorrent client on their network. I was using utorrent on the ASU network until just yesterday. Now whenever I start utorrent or and other torrent client for that matter it totally shuts down the internet for me. I mean everything is shut down not just the ports for the bittorrent client being blocked. Anyways was just wondering if I was the only one or not. I have tried on both the wired and wireless network same result both times.

Kv

Just tried it on my roommates computer seems like his also has the same problem. I am guessing the school is in fact blocking it some how. I am not exactly sure what is blocking it but we do have a program called: Cisco Clean Access Agent (CCCA) that we have to install to use the network. All I really wanted to know is if anyone at ASU was also having this problem.

Thanks for the feedback

Kv

Hey! Yes the same is occurring for me here at ASU. My roommate also gets this as well.

I am going to do some tests to find out whether it's Cisco Clean Access or server-side from ASU actually detecting it. I'll reply back.

For everyone else, does bittorrent send out a consistent flag to easily identify a client? Is encryption capable, on clients, to encrypt all packets so you cannot identify whether it's a torrent client?

If it's cisco clean access, I'll try and disassembling it and checking out what it is doing. My bets are on ASU doing it server-side however.

I know for a fact that it is all torrents because I tried other torrent programs after I found utorrent not working. I haven't tried anything like limewire but I would prefer not to touch that application. On the plus side IRC downloads seem to work, but that doesn't cover all the needs and uses of bittorrent applications.

Kv

I am over at the east campus and yes it completely shuts all clients ive tried down... i can get on without having to use CCA so i know that is not the problem...

im pretty handy about getting around this sort of stuff so ill keep you folks posted if i figure out how to get this stuff back up and running

• 2 months later...

hey ya'll

ok asu does a couple of things to track users...and i do mean track, record, monitor, etc

2 of the more important things they do is

A) limit the number of connections

B) limit the speed

when you are connected to lets say 10 peers the protocol will choke up speed

and (here is the bitch of it all) will start to time delay the server

the connections get all funky and causes a disconnect

now i hear...dont quote me cause i aint swearing to it

but TOR and peer guardian or any other onion type proxies might trick asu's server

i live off campus so it's not a marjor thing for me

just something i have heard

Archived